Latest post Fri, Apr 15 2016 1:14 PM by Mark Hawtin. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 2 2012 10:12 AM

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 19 2009
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

Timecode plugin translating data

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to do the following using a plugin... or if I can write a plug in to do this:

I have imported a few thousand .mov files and their naming convention is: yy_mm_dd_hh_mm_ss.mov

I woild like to present this information on the client monitor as text over the top of the imported clips on the timeline.

I can already use the timecode plug in to display the clip name, however...

I would like to translate these filenames into this format: dd, month (as text), year, time

Essentially I think I will need a plug in which can translate information in a file name and represent it in a different way like this:

character 1 and 2 = year

character 4 and 5 = month

character 7 and 8 = day

character 10 and 11 = hour

character 13 and 14 = minute

in timecode plug in (or something similar):

display day, month (as text), year, hour:, minute

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Mac / PC Media Composers with Interplay - latest updates [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2012 12:18 PM In reply to

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

Re: Timecode plugin translating data

bump

Mac / PC Media Composers with Interplay - latest updates [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 3 2012 9:48 AM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

You could try to use a software like autoit (pc) and write a script that does somehing like this:

Select Clip name

Analyse the Name and create a new Name (20.12.1974.mov -> 20. december 74 for example)

paste that new name back to the clip name

now you can use the avid-tc effect

or you could do these steps BEFORE importing all the files, via a shell script for example.

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:06 AM In reply to

udosauer:
    or you could do these steps BEFORE importing all the files, via a shell script for example

Seems like an easier way to go.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

Thanks camoscato

Good suggestions. I maintained the existing naming convention so as to preserve the ability to sort by date. You're right, renaming the files before importing would've solved this, but it would've prevented me from batch add segment to the timeline based on date order.

I'll take a look at autoit and see if there is anything similar on OSX.

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:18 AM In reply to

Mark Hawtin:
    renaming the files before importing would've solved this, but it would've prevented me from batch add segment to the timeline based on date order.

I don't have any files to test this with, so it's a guess, but if the file name format is yy_mm_dd_hh_mm_ss.mov I'd think you could still sort them by date in a bin in text view, and then drag and drop them to the timeline in the order they appear in the list.  I'm not 100% sure that'll work, but it's worth a test.

It's a shame I didn't see this a couple of days ago, as the place I was working uses a similar naming convention and I could've tested it out to see if it would work for your needs.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:24 AM In reply to

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

True camoscato, however, had I batched renamed the files before import, the ability to sort the imported files into a bin would have been lost. 

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:29 AM In reply to

Mark Hawtin:
    True camoscato, however, had I batched renamed the files before import, the ability to sort the imported files into a bin would have been lost. 

I don't understand.  You can sort a bin ascending or descending or filter for a particular word or string of numbers.  

• Fri, Aug 3 2012 10:39 AM In reply to

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

Hi Camoscato. The filenames are formatted as yy_mm_dd_hh_mm_ss.mov

This formatting allows for easy alphanumeric sorting (acending / decending order) in the name column of a bin as you rightly stated...

Had I batch renamed the 3000+ clips differently on the desktop before importing, for example 12-06-2012_08-54.mov, these clips would not be able to be sorted easily. In addition, the clips do not have metadata, and the creation date is sometimes different from the correct filming date and time.

In a perfect world, I would like to display the name of the clips translated from yy_mm_dd_hh_mm_ss.mov to something a like dd_mm(as text)_yy_time on the client monitor via a plug in similar to the timecode plugin to help in the viewing process.

My guess is that I need to write a plug in unless there is one out there.

• Fri, Apr 15 2016 1:14 PM In reply to

• Mark Hawtin
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 19
    • Points 185

Hello everyone

A question for the extreme expert Avid heavylifters... Geeked

I am searching for a plugin similar to the Timecode Burn-In plugin that will not only display the Source Clip Name on the screen but crucially:

Interpret the file name as an on screen caption, in other works '2016_01_01.mov' would becomes 

'1st of January, 2016' on the screen

Further more...

the file name: '2016_01_01_13_26_27.mov'

would be able to display the text: '1st of January 2016, 13:26'

with choice of font, font size, position X&Y, shaddow, keyframable with transparency.

1) Does a 3rd party plug in exist that would do something like this?

2) Is there any batch burnin software that could achieve this prior to importing treated clips into the Avid?

3) Any other ideas on workflow?

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks 

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller