Latest post Thu, Aug 2 2012 12:50 AM by Zappy6676. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:28 PM

• Zappy6676
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 1 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Transferring Media Files from one drive to another

I recently transferred dozens of media files from one external hard drive (formatted for Mac & PC) to my PC formatted external hard drive so I can start editing in Avid on my PC. However, when I imported all of the raw movie clips into Avid, all the sound is there but no pictures. So I tried playing the raw clips in a few different media players, QuickTime & Media Windows, and again sound is there, but no pictures. Something must have happened during the transfer, but why would this happen and how can it be fixed?

I just want to be able to transfer all of my old footage from one external hard drive to my bigger external hard drive so I can start editing in Avid off of my new hard drive.

Joe

• Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:01 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 249
    • Points 2,945

Re: Transferring Media Files from one drive to another

Try and re-index the MXF files by deleting the Databese files which can be found in your drive at the following directory Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 or 2 or 3, inside the folders 1 or or 3 etc you will find 2 x files name like this msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb, after you have done this run Media Composer as this will re-index your media files.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:16 PM In reply to

As it's the RAW files that won't show pictures I'd assume it's because you don't have that codec on the PC.

Not even sure these are MXF Avid media files as the OP mentionms RAW files. If they had been captured into MC then they should play on any system. But the OP also mentioned a drive formatted for Mac and PC so that's likley to be FAT32 and that won't work as an Avid Media drive for HD due to 4GB file size limit.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:29 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 249
    • Points 2,945

Would you be able tell us where the RAW footage comes from, what camera it was shot with and what type of files are they?

• Wed, Aug 1 2012 1:56 PM In reply to

• Zappy6676
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Yes,

The footage was shot with a JVC 700 using an SD Card, and goes to a .mov file...

All of the raw footage can be viewed on my old hardrive and works in Avid on MAC, but I ran out of room on that hard drive and bought a larger one. The larger one is PC formatted, the old one was PC/MAC formatted. I transferred everything into the new drive through my PC and onto my new hard drive. Everything went through, but when I play all the raw media clips, (.mov files) only the sound is available. When I bring some of the clips into Avid on a PC, the same thing happens, only sound, no video.

Did something happen when the footage was transferred from my old drive onto my new one? Will I be able to somehow find the video for these clips on my new drive? I'm wondering if something got screwed because one drive is PC/MAC and the other drive is PC formatted?

• Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:06 PM In reply to

Zappy6676:

Yes,

The footage was shot with a JVC 700 using an SD Card, and goes to a .mov file...

All of the raw footage can be viewed on my old hardrive and works in Avid on MAC, but I ran out of room on that hard drive and bought a larger one. The larger one is PC formatted, the old one was PC/MAC formatted. I transferred everything into the new drive through my PC and onto my new hard drive. Everything went through, but when I play all the raw media clips, (.mov files) only the sound is available. When I bring some of the clips into Avid on a PC, the same thing happens, only sound, no video.

Did something happen when the footage was transferred from my old drive onto my new one? Will I be able to somehow find the video for these clips on my new drive? I'm wondering if something got screwed because one drive is PC/MAC and the other drive is PC formatted?

This makes no sense. The mov file is a single file with video and audio in it. The file eitehr copies or it doesn't if it copies then the copy should be identical to the original. And if the original files play on that system so should the copies.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 249
    • Points 2,945

So if you open the MOV with Quicktime Player and then check the Movie Inspector and tell us what it says under the Format? That should tell us what the Codec is for those MOV files.

• Wed, Aug 1 2012 5:41 PM In reply to

I'm guessing the MOV files are encoded using the Apple/FCP HDV codec, and those files will only play on computers with FCP installed.

A Windows PC will need to use something like Calibrated{Q} XD Decode in order to play these.  Apple's ProRes decoder for Windows will NOT work - not for Avid, not for anything else.  Apple HDV won't work in Windows without third-party software.  Yeah, thanks, Apple.

Alternatively, you can convert them on a Mac to DNxHD or ProRes or whatever you need.

In-camera, I'm not sure, but you might be able to select a different file format for future shoots that won't lock it into FCP, but again, not sure.

It's one of the messiest format issues I've seen.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.9.5, Avid Media Composer 8.1.0, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 2 2012 12:50 AM In reply to

• Zappy6676
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thank you everyone who responded and your insights!

I found out today that it was the CODEC. The CODEC that the JVC 700 carries wasn't able to play video files on any type of player on a PC, BUT...on a MAC it plays. As a result, I can't edit any of my footage in AVID on a PC, only on a MAC. I did however recover all of the video files in Premiere! Everything works great in that editing software on my PC. So lloks like I'm editing in Premiere now. Sometimes I wish we can go back to simpler times with a razor, tape and film!!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller