Latest post Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:34 AM by Larry Rubin. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 17 2012 6:32 PM

Matte Transitions-how to

I've downloaded some Matte Transition with black and white from "Video Blocks" but I have not been able to get the incoming clip to show or the preceding clip to show if I invert.

I have the matte on top with the two clips over lapping is there a special matte track to use? what am I missing?

See attached picture.

PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K Quad core,PNY nVidia Qudro... [view my complete system specs]

Built Workstation MC 7.0.2 Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K
        processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-
        G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:06 PM In reply to

Re: Matte Transitions-how to

I see you have the invert option enabled. Have you tried disabling it?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:17 PM In reply to

• chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 488
    • Points 5,640

hi ronald,

you have to step in your matte and replace the fiil with one of your clips.

add an add_edit, to stay with same duration (matte_dur and fill_dur = part of your clip).

che

mac_mc_8, mc_6.5, scsi, fibre, sata [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:38 PM In reply to

I have tried disabling the invert option in effects, I also imported with and without inverting.

If I followed the instructions from chepal this is what I came up with:

In the first step I cut out the video below the matte and put it in the fill when I stepped in.

PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K Quad core,PNY nVidia Qudro... [view my complete system specs]

Built Workstation MC 7.0.2 Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K
        processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-
        G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:40 PM In reply to

This is what my Matte looks like when I step in:

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

Regarding transition image #1, I have made these types of transitions from custom mattes many times. You have the timeline layering correct as shown in your attachment to the first post. But you definitely need the V1 and V2 outgoing and incoming shots overlapping under the matte key clip on V3, as you had it in the first post. There is no need to step in and nest anything to achieve this type of transition. You may need to use the "swap source" option to get the outgoing and incoming order correctly. What I don't understand is why it's not working for you. Is there a point in the transition matte stencil where it goes completely full screen?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

Yes I tried that first, intuitively I thought that's how it would work. As you can see by the next two screen shots I can only get one clip.

Perhaps it's how I downloaded the video clip off video Blocks wrong:

http://www.videoblocks.com/videos/effects-and-lower-thirds/transitions-alpha-channels-matte/

Video Blocks support says to:
    Here's how to make it work:

1. Place your incoming video on track 1.
    2. Place the transition clip on track 2 directly above the video, making sure they end at the same point.
    3. Place your outgoing video on track 3, making sure they begin at the same point.
    4. Change the composite mode (sometimes called blend mode) of the track 3 video to "travel matte - alpha" or whichever similar option is given.
    That should do it!

But he does not know I'm on Avid.

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:20 PM In reply to

Here I changed source which does the same as invert, just switches the video. Could be in the alpha file from the download that I'm missing?

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 9:52 PM In reply to

First, the matte key clip is intended to be used with an cookie cutter stencil matte that is white on black, no embedded alpha channel. When you have a composition with an embedded alpha channel, you go to the options section of the import tool and for alpha you usually choose "invert". The result is a matte key clip that you apply on a single layer. Does what you're downloading have an alpha channel associated with it? And again, confirming that for the Avid methodology, you have your track layering correct when using a matte key effect...V1 and V2 have outgoing and incoming and V3 has the stencil cookie cutter with the matte key effect applied to it.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 10:10 PM In reply to

Does what you're downloading have an alpha channel associated with it?
    Yes; When I import in AVID it says: "Creating video fill from QT and then creating alpha data from QT".  Yes it would have an Alpha channel then.  Also the key words from the download site include alpha.

"you have your track layering correct"
    Yes, as in the above picture the tracks are as you say.

you go to the options section of the import tool and for alpha you usually choose "invert"

Yes I have done invert, do not invert and ignore but I get the same results.

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 10:18 PM In reply to

ronald cz:
    Yes I have done invert, do not invert and ignore but I get the same results.

Now, something is really bizarre about that. If the comp has an alpha and you choose "ignore" in the import tool alpha options, you should wind up with a standard master clip that is a white on black stencil cookie cutter. Do you? You put that on V3, apply a "matte key" effect with the outgoing and incoming overlaps on V1 and V2 underneath that V3 clip and all is Kosher. I do this on a regular basis, I know it works. Try creating a new user profile and see what happens there.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:02 PM In reply to

You were right, with the ignore option it is working. When I originally tried ignore I was using the attached Picture of a transition which looked gray to me, however it was just the gray floor of the incoming picture which fooled me.

I was also trying to use the alpha but could not get it to work, ignore is the best way to import these. Thanks for staying with me on this.

• Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:16 PM In reply to

You're welcome Ronald, glad you got it sorted out. The cookie cutter that you apply the matte key effect to - the black areas will disappear and be replaced by the background image - the white areas will superimpose the foreground image. The swap sources parameter let's you decide which clip is which.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:26 AM In reply to

So the final question is why does "pre-made track matte video transitions" from Video Blocks even have an alpha channel since Avid does not need them for black and white transitions?  I guess their needed for Final Cut and Premiere Pro as in this tutorial by Video Blocks;

Video Editing Tutorial: Using Track Matte Video Transitions in Final Cut Pro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX67c0WlH7w  

• Wed, Jul 18 2012 12:34 AM In reply to

ronald cz:
    So the final question is why does "pre-made track matte video transitions" from Video Blocks even have an alpha channel since Avid does not need them for black and white transitions?  I guess their needed for Final Cut and Premiere Pro as in this tutorial by Video Blocks;

Probably. However, if the transition contains one frame approx. midway through that is a full frame image (think NFL on CBS graphic transition), that could be imported with an alpha as a matte key clip on V2, hiding a cut between outgoing and incoming on V1 directly under that one frame.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller