Latest post Fri, Jun 6 2014 5:49 PM by Gretski. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 12:17 PM

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

Monitoring 5.1 surround sound with MC 6

What extra hardware do I need to monitor 5.1 surround sound. (I do have a 5.1 speaker system)

I know I can use the Avid hardware for that, but is there a less expensive way?

I'm working on a Mac Pro 2011

AMC 5.5.2, Aja IO Express, Mac OSX 10.6.6, MacPro 12 core, 8 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 12:40 PM In reply to

Re: Monitoring 5.1 surround sound an MC 6

What kind of 5.1 speaker system do you have?

Mac Book Pro / Pro Tools 9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 12:57 PM In reply to

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

It's a simple loudspeaker system that has got a audio input for each speaker (6 in total)

Don't no the brand know.

AMC 5.5.2, Aja IO Express, Mac OSX 10.6.6, MacPro 12 core, 8 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:08 PM In reply to

So they are powered speakers, or are they hooked up to a reciever or amplifier? I'm asking about this because you will need a device to hook up to your computer that has audio outputs, and you will need to attach these audio outputs to the inputs of your speaker system. I would suggest an AVID audio interface- like an M-Box, because you will get Pro Tools with this, which may really help with surround mixing. But I'd want to make sure of the connections to your speakers before I would really recommend something.

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:12 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles Ca
    • Posts 1,838
    • Points 19,830

for surround mixing You Need 6 outputs from the computer one for each channel as avid does not encode dolby or surround into 2 channels ..to be honest I dont do my finish mix in avid  I use a audio daw it is better suited to the task

macbook pro i7 2.5 16 gig ram 750gig hd 2tb fw800 8 tb e-sata raid Artist Mix and Artist color [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:28 PM In reply to

+1 for what Tom said about mixing in an Audio DAW - which makes the case for a multi-channel audio interface from AVID that is bundled with Pro Tools Audio Recording software. We would need to know more about the inputs of your speaker system though : )

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:28 PM In reply to

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

Tom Pearson:

for surround mixing You Need 6 outputs from the computer one for each channel ...

What device or sound card (with 6 seperate outputs) is compatible with MC 6 ?

I know MC might be not the best best solution for surround mixing, but it may be good enough for low cost produktion.

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:44 PM In reply to

I know that surround can be output via HDMI, which works well with the Nitris DX.  Other 3rd party hardware that has an HDMI out might work as well.  Then you'd run HDMI to a surround-sound amp and you're all set.

Another option might be the digital out of the Mac to a surround amp...but that would mean you'd be working software only.

Media Composer v7.0.4 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 1:49 PM In reply to

Well any audio interface that has 8-outputs (no one makes a 6-output interface) and Core Audio Drivers should work, but I still suggest you consider the MBox Pro with Protools:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Mbox-Pro

You may find the integration of Pro Tools with Media Composer to be a very useful workflow.

But with any interface you choose- you really have to consider how it will plug-in to your speaker system.

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 2:03 PM In reply to

The OP has an AJA I/O Express, which I believe outputs 8-channels of audio via AES and SDI- but he'd probably need some sort of de-embedder or converter to hook up to his speaker system... I think the simplest and lowest cost way to output surround is to use a USB or Firewire audio interface. The Mac's Multichannel out should be seen by MC, but again- this is a digital output and we still don't know what inputs are on his speaker system, he may have to invest in some sort of digital converter to get 6 channels to his speakers.

To really make the best suggestion we'd need to know what the speaker system inputs are (if they are digital or analog...)

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 4:20 PM In reply to

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

Eddie Sullivan:

To really make the best suggestion we'd need to know what the speaker system inputs are (if they are digital or analog...)

Actually I've got two systems one with digital inputs. But this one expects Dolby or DTS signals and I doubt that MC send out these signals (maybe with plugins)

The other one has just 6 analog line inputs (it is a active speaker system)

I do have also a AJA IO Express. So maybe I need just a splitter, that extracts the embedded audio tracks from SDI or HDMI.

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 5:09 PM In reply to

So you can Disembed the SDI Audio and AJA actually makes an 8-channel Dis-Embedder for AES-Analog:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/hd10am/#/overview

This comes with a breakout cable that outputs analog audio to XLR. But this box is about $850USD - and for that price you are almost at the price of an MBox Pro + Pro Tools, which would give you a lot more Mixing for surround capability. There are some less expensive 8 channel Firewire/USB audio interfaces that should do the trick- I like MOTU interfaces because of their excellently written Core Audio Drivers.

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 5:40 PM In reply to

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

I found another box from Atlona, called AT-HD570

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eKMWQYhSVE

this ones is about $230USD

But a Firewire/USB audio interface sounds simpler to me. Do you know which one is compatible with AMC6 ?

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 5:54 PM In reply to

It does not appear that you can dis-embed the HDMI audio on the I/O Express- only the SDI output (i'm not clear on why this is - I would have thought it was possible) so I don't think that Atlona Box will work for you

: (

I think any Core Audio compatible interface should work for monitoring purposes - but as I've pointed out- it might be nice for you to invest in the MBox Pro and get into Pro Tools if you think your surround audio mixing needs might grow... it's a pretty good deal in a hardware/software package as far as audio interfaces go...

• Fri, Jun 29 2012 6:18 PM In reply to

• relaht
    • Not Ranked
    • Germany
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,640

Thanks for your patience.

But right now I don't want to spend too much money into it.

And I don't have the time to learn ProTools. :-(

So what I'm looking for is a cheap solution to get started.

If you (or someone else) know simple audio interface that let me monitoring a surround sequence with MC6 please tell me what it is.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller