Latest post Mon, Jun 25 2012 2:13 AM by RickToxik. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 6:09 PM

• RickToxik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 18 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 260

TIFF 16 bit - from AE, to MC, and then Resolve

Hi!  i have a lot of CG sequences rendered out as TIFF 16 bit.  I'd like to edit those in Media composer and then send my sequence with AAF.

I am not that sure how to retain the bit depth from AE to davinci, I fear that going through export 10 bit with DNxHD would crush my depth or badify something.

Is there a way to work in MC my sequences and send the timeline info to AAF and re-open the original TIFFs in Resolve with the timeline of the (MXF...) session?  Or better, is there a way to work with a 10 bit export safely throughout the chain - I could then add two or three effects in MC6 if needed.

Cheers and thanks!

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 6:11 PM In reply to

• RickToxik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 260

Re: TIFF 16 bit - from AE, to MC, and then Resolve

I feel my question is so vague hahaha.

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,375
    • Points 40,755

A very interesting question.  And one that will be hard to get an answer for.  It took months and months to get some basic questions answered about how and when 10 bit media was being handled by MC.  And some question still remain.  (do some forum searchs)

16 bit is not a normal bit depth for most edit system.  Heck, even flame and smoke do not work at 16 bit (12 bit is a high as they go I believe).

I do not think that an AAF will track the data of an image sequence and pass it on to Resolve.  Could be wrong.  Pretty easy to test.  Go for it!

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 9:14 PM In reply to

The trick would be to have Resolve conform your 'offline' Avid cut from the TIFF sequences. But without timecode, I'm not sure how you would do that.

I reckon you could build 16bit DPX-sequences with timecode from within Resolve, render those to DNxHD as well, cut in DNxHD, conform from DPX.

But that's just a theory.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 10:38 PM In reply to

There is a pdf around (Resolve - Creating Native MXF Dailies.pdf ) about taking dailies into Resolve adding LUT's, exprting to DNxHD and then using an AAF back to Resolve to work with the originals. Seems to work back to Gemini DPX files so it ishould be possible to a tiff sequence. 

The pdf should be fairly easy to find with with a web search

• Sun, Jun 24 2012 10:53 PM In reply to

The Gemini DPX's have timecode, though. TIFs probably don't.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 11:56 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    TIFs probably don't.
    Resolve can use TC from "embedded in Source clip"  or from "Source clip frame count" in the Timeline Conform options so I would give it a 50 50 chance.

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 2:13 AM In reply to

• RickToxik
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 260

Boy I was surprised to get any awnser to this!  It's holiday here, and my I-phone kept sending alerts the whole day hahahah!!!  Thank you so much guys!

Unfortunatly, I'm a week to late to test things out...  For now.

I know what timecode is since two decades, but I never used it properly (neither in audio nor video)...  But I am glad to know that DPX has timecode embedded in it (ahhh that's what those weird numbers are for!!).

I figured out something that could do the trick for the whole 16 bit editing/grading.  You can render two versions of your footage in After Effects at the beginning of the editing: one DnxHD that you will use as a proxy for editing in Avid MC, and a TIFF that has your same AE tweakings.

You then edit in MC with the DNxHD, and export an AAF that you open in After Effects with Automatic Duck.  Then you alt-drop your TIFF sequence over each DNxHD and you have your edited sequence from AVID in TIFF 16 bit.  Then render DPXs or TIFFs again and open that in resolve (since you can't export AAFs from AE, right?).  The theory seems possible I think...

But my problem right now is that I need to apply a lot of motion effects in AVID, timewarps, and maybe some other little effects because my cg looks like hmm hmm sometimes and it needs bad fixes hahaha...  So the only choice that I have is to render my super hires TIFF in AE, import as RGB DnxHD 1:1 or 175 10 bit in Avid and let it resize in HD and then send the MXF to resolve.

While I was reading your comments, I felt this was more like a Resolve issue.  I don't think it has the ability to replace footage in a click like After effects.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller