Latest post Fri, Jan 29 2016 12:21 AM by Brian Berdan, ACE. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:54 PM

• Tmirk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • LA, CA
    • Posts 148
    • Points 1,910

Just lost 4 hours of work

Despite bin settings at save every 8 mins and force auto sace at 17....I just lost 4 hours of work. Last attic save was same time as bin save. I had a few bins open, closed one or two of them, and got a segmentation fault. May be the first time that has ever happened to me on an Avid. In fact one of my first crashes with MC6 in the last 2 weeks on this new rental setup. Ugh.... now back to re-creating. 

I want more money!

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 11:57 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: Just lost 4 hours of work

I feel your pain! Happened to me enough times to force me to bit the bullet and get into the habit of manually saving everytime i have a break in the action.  VERY glad i did!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:51 AM In reply to

• Tmirk
    • Not Ranked
    • LA, CA
    • Posts 148
    • Points 1,910

Yea, exactly. Avid has made me lazy. In FCP I once lost 2 days opf cutting, despite watching autosave every 15mins. Lots of saving. Just fallen out of the habit. Good news is it should only take an hour more to re-create, and probably make it better!

I want more money!

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:45 AM In reply to

Also, make another Bin, "WIP" (work in progress).  Every so often drag a copy of your current sequence into it, and close the Bin.  A closed Bin typically cannot be corrupted during a system crash, as the content no longer resides in RAM.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 1:56 AM In reply to

Been there, done that - haven't we all at some point. I have both auto save and forced auto save set for 5 minutes. Yes, it interrupts me more frequently, but I never loose more than 5 minutes of work and I easily notice when the system is suddenly not saving the way it should. I also do manual saves at various milestones.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 3:53 AM In reply to

was there nothing in one of the 50 or so default attic copies?  if the last one was bunk, what about the one saved 8 minutes before that?  I've never lost more than 1 hour's worth of work (save every 15 minuites) due to corrupted attic copies.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 4:28 AM In reply to

FWIW I recently lost a couple of hours of colour grading. The project had a vast number of bins,(almost none open), so I cahnged my attic settings to have only 4 versions of a bin. In hindsight I was vaguely aware Avid was not auto saving  (force auto save every 15 minutes was set) but failed to stop and manually save. I increased the number of bin versions in the attic and Avid started auto saving again.

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:01 AM In reply to

AndrewAction:
    I increased the number of bin versions in the attic and Avid started auto saving again.

I've seen this behaviour also a while back. Could there be a "bug" where instead of deleting/overwriting the oldest version and keeping X versions of auto saves  MC just stops auto saving when it reaches X auto saves?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 7:16 AM In reply to

• Diamornte
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 19 2012
    • Posts 14
    • Points 200

It's true. I've seen the attic at my former job stop saving once it got to version 999 of the bins in the attic, it would not start over in the numbering sequence (back to 001). One of many things I wish Avid would fix. 

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 12:40 PM In reply to

Hmmm, Diamornte, Andrew, has there ever been a bug report or fix for this? I'm still on MC 3.1 and know that this problem pops up in big projects lasting 6 months although I haven't had an issue for more then 2 years. I must admit that I also haven't checked for more then a year as I make manual backups of project folders.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 5:40 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    has there ever been a bug report or fix for this?
    I do not know. It has only happened to me once. In my case, apart from happening at a very bad time in a delivery schedule, thee conditions/circumstances wouldseem to be very hard to reliably recreate and therefore hard to fit the criteria for a bug report. 

I have a dim memoy of it being raised as a issue on some release many years back. Maybe others can come forward and report any incidence they have. had. I will ask around.

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:01 PM In reply to

Over many years on Avid, I have noticed occasional times when auto saves do not occur, but I also have not been able to discern or establish any particular pattern that can be replicated trying to trace down a cause.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 6:39 PM In reply to

Yes over the years I've had a few times when auto save has stopped working and times been lost. Even actually seen it happening (or not) but it normally comes right after a restart so hard to pin down.

Hasving two working bins is a great idea and one I use and promote. Alternating between bins with copies of the  working sequence. Also try and keep the working bin(s) small by not having old sequences in there. The longer a save takes the more risk of a crash and loss. But it's a very rare occurance for sure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jan 27 2016 11:23 PM In reply to

• Brian Berdan, ACE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 4 2013
    • Usually Seattle or Los Angeles
    • Posts 60
    • Points 595

Going to resurrect this thread. I am finally getting around to investigating why I'm not finding auto-saved bins in the attic. Just lost another 1/2 hour work. Apparently I had reached the max number of files I said to keep... and so it just stopped auto-saving. I deleted all those old projects and it started saving again as normal.  That is a bad bit of safety net.

Please Avid, fix that.

2017 MacBook Pro High Sierra 10.13.4 MC 2018.5.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 8:14 PM In reply to

The Attic shouldn't be your primary backup.  Consider it a courtesy from Avid with no guarantees.  Corrupt setttings can affect the Auto-Save, and Avid has no control over that.  As mentioned earlier in this thread ...

Also, make another Bin, "WIP" (work in progress).  Every so often drag a copy of your current sequence into it, and close the Bin.  A closed Bin typically cannot be corrupted during a system crash, as the content no longer resides in RAM.  Note:  This takes 5 seconds to do.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller