Latest post Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:07 PM by mjolnarn. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 10 2012 1:02 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 20 2006
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,215

Re: Media Composer, Mac OS and Matrox mini conundrum!

Tomas, if you would simply express that your system, for whatever reason, works well without trying to cast doubt on our observations, it would be much appreciated.  Most of us on this forum do know what we are doing.

All this back and forth is fairly pointless, however, as both Avid and Matrox are well aware that the current performance is not acceptable and they are working to fix it, which is what really matters.

MC 8.6.0, Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core, 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2012 1:35 PM In reply to

Wow thanks for all these replies! I'll admit some of it is over my head...but from what I can gather, if we wanted to use the Matrox it would be smarter to wait to upgrade... But if we did invest money into upgrading everything, including the Matrox drivers, etc., how do we access the Matrox and client monitor from within Avid without the toggle button from v5.5? Will the client monitor automatically pick up the feed/picture from our Avid timeline if everything is hooked up correctly? Is there a button we click in the Avid to make the timeline output to the Matrox and client monitor? I think this is a really basic operation that we just haven't tinkered with enough yet..

• Sun, Jun 10 2012 6:39 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 20 2006
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 101
    • Points 1,215

yes, that's right.  in MC6, if the MXO2 is installed, you will have a button beneath the timeline to turn on or off the client monitor.  In my experience, the system slows down greatly and crashes frequently when the monitor is activated, so it's generally best to edit with it off, then turn on for playback/review.

But I do reiterate that it's much more stable and performs better on 5.5 than on 6.  I would only advise upgrading to 6 if there are specific functions or compatibility that you need which were introduced in MC6.  I'm an early adopter type, so I jumped right on it, and frankly I miss 5.5.

(p.s. sorry your thread got slightly hijacked there by some disagreements between a few of us...)

MC 8.6.0, Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core, 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 10 2012 8:07 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

bustmethat:

Tomas, if you would simply express that your system, for whatever reason, works well

Yes, for the third time in this thread, my system does work well for previewings on the Mac side and from what I can see that was the question raised by the OP .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller