Latest post Wed, May 23 2012 6:39 PM by Blackburst1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2012 2:47 PM

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 39
    • Points 495

Cleaning out render media in a large project

I'm seeking a little advice from the Avid gurus here.  I've been working on a project for over a year now and its finally time to archive and store it on an external drive.  Due to the vast number of different revisions and the amout of effect work, I'd love to erase all the render media for the previous sequence versions, since I'm sure its hundreds of gigs worth, before I archive.

Whats the best method here?

I was thinking of using the media tool, selecting all the precomute media for the project and deleting...  I know ideally, I'd just have to re-render the effects in my most recent sequence and re-create title media... But will that bring everything back that I need?  I'm worried about losing media I need here that wont just be re-created with a re-render.

Thoughts?

If it matters the media was all brought in through AMA, transcoded, then edited.  And the system is MC5.5.

- Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 23 2012 3:12 PM In reply to

Re: Cleaning out render media in a large project

I think your best bet here is to use the "select media relatives" and then "reverse selection" workflow which will let you cluster all pre-computes NOT used in the final sequence for deletion. But, since pre-computes also include title clips and matte key clips, those would also be included, meaning you would need to use "re-create title media" to restore the title clips and re-import the matte key clips, or attempt to separate the title and matte keys from the rendered effects files and not delete them.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, May 23 2012 6:39 PM In reply to

• Blackburst1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, Florida
    • Posts 39
    • Points 495

Re: Cleaning out render media in a large project

Thanks Larry.  Matte Key clips.  Thats what threw me for a loop last time I tried this and I had forgotten about them being lost in addition to the title media.

I think I'll definately go the media relatives and reverse route.  Thanks for the advice.

- Avid Media Composer 8.8.4 - Dell 7910 Workstation - Dual Xeon E5-2630 v3 8-core 2.4Ghz - 32GB ram - AMD FirePro W7100 - Blackmagic Design... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller