Latest post Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:30 AM by bobcat. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 6:46 AM In reply to

Re: Canon 5D Mark iii

souzpalooz:

Does the 5D Mark iii Span clips like p2 media or does it make indiviual quicktimes? If it does span clips what do you have to do to link all the mov files to make them 1 video file in avid?

It never spanned clips before hence the limited shot record time.

This due it reaching max file size due to card format.

however not being able to span clips makes tapeless workflows easier !

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:09 PM In reply to

• souzpalooz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 3 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Working in reality TV Spanned clips are good because we leave the camera running for 40 min at a time. When making groups you dont want to have breaks for no reason. So is the awnser no? We can not make this .mov files span into 1 clip in the avid?

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:22 PM In reply to

souzpalooz:

Working in reality TV Spanned clips are good because we leave the camera running for 40 min at a time. When making groups you dont want to have breaks for no reason. So is the awnser no? We can not make this .mov files span into 1 clip in the avid?

The issue is the camera isn't a tapeless camera it records until it's reached maximum file size and then stops and you have to restart the recording on the camera. It's the camera that isn't doing the spanning.

It's shame you can't feed timecode into the camera otherwise you could have more than one camera and start with a time offset just like we used to do with 20minute limited tape formats then as each camera stopped and a tape was changed the other would be mid record length. Ensuring one camera at least was recording all the time.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:32 PM In reply to

• souzpalooz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 3 2012
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

We are talking about the Canon 5D Mark iii, This does do spanned clips. You can record 40 minutes straight without stopping the camera. this would make about 4 10 mintue .mov files are 4gb in capacity. This camera also records timecode, but just time of day (or whatever you set). but You are right about not sending it timecode from an external source.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 7:29 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,790

I have the camera and although I have not tested it, my understanding (from the manual) is that it records 29min 59sec to get around some EU tax law . . . ?

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 7:42 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

souzpalooz:

We are talking about the Canon 5D Mark iii, This does do spanned clips.

Have you tried to link to volume, it needs to be the origin untouched folder structure

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Nov 22 2013 3:38 PM In reply to

We just experienced this as well. We shot a series of long interviews. The camera DOES create a kind of span clip in that, when it reaches max file size (at around 10 minutes apparently(, it will automatically and seamlessly create a second video file so that if you lined the two up in a timeline they would match up exactly.  However unlike P2 or XDCAM, AMA will not identify those separate media files as one continuous clip. It treats each one as its own distinct clip.  Which made this multi-camera edit a nightmare to group.  I imagine it works this way because the 5D doesn't appear to create any kind of metadata table that I can see?

• Fri, Mar 14 2014 1:09 PM In reply to

• spejampar
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 3 2008
    • Evanston, IL
    • Posts 38
    • Points 460

yes, I would like to know the best way to deal with canon 5d mk iii spanned clips in a multicam workflow.  The easiest thing I came up with was putting them in a sequence and making a mixdown.  Definitely not ideal if you need TC but it's not a horrible workaround.  I just can't believe there isn't a better way.  Hopefully an update to AMA will come soon so it will automatically combine those clips into one.

• Mon, Jul 24 2017 10:06 AM In reply to

• loki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 17 2012
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

Since I am stuck in the same "long interview, multiple multigroups, audio tc"-workflow right now I wanted to ask if anyone came up with a better approach?

I know there is some self programmed software to combine the footage before loading them into MC but I cannot find it anywhere. EOS movie utility does not recognize 5D mk iii clips unfortunately.

Anyone has a better workaround?

Cheers,

Max

MC 8.8.4 OSX 10.12.4 MacPro 6,1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 26 2017 1:30 AM In reply to

• bobcat
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 20 2006
    • Southwest, USA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,075

EditReady 2

Used to be called Clipwrap. Should do the trick.

Avid MC 6.5.2.1 with 27"iMac 2.8GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.3, 12GB memory, ATi Radeon HD 4850, Caldigit Raid [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller