Latest post Sat, May 5 2012 10:44 PM by mhamilton. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 16 2012 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: are my user settings in the right place? (they're in 2 places right now)

Malcolm,

I just noticed that my .avs file were identified as Photoshop as well...but this isn't actually a problem.  This is just the program that the OS thinks it needs to open the file, should you double-click on it (which you wouldn't in normal use).

However, you can do a CMD+I on the file, then change the "Open With" pulldown to Media Composer.  Then it changes to an Avid Pref file.  I assume the installation of Photoshop changes the relationship to .avs files.

Also, use the /Users/Shared folder to store your user settings.  That's the preferred location.

Media Composer v7.0.4 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 4 2012 9:21 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 17,980

Larry Rubin:

mhamilton:
     To get rid of these user settings, should I go to Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid Users, and trash the following two folders that are inside:

- malcolm_hamilton, and

- malcolm

No. These are your Mac OS profile user files, which any Avid user you create when that profile is loaded are linked to. In the PC world, they are the Windows OS user profile.

mhamilton:

Should I also go to Applications/Avid Media Composer/Settings, and get rid of the folder called malcolm_hamilton, that has the following files:

- malcolm_hamilton Settings.avs

- malcolm_hamilton.ave

Yes. These are the specific Avid user profile files. Trash the user folder that those files are in, so you can re-create your user profile again from scratch. The system will automatically create a new user profile folder that the .avs and.ave new files will be placed in. That way, you start over with an entirely clean slate.

Hi again,

I have user files in both places (Mac OS profile user files in Users/Shared/etc.) and Avid user profile files (in Applications/Avid Media Composer/Settings).

But the problem that plagues me is that every time I start up or quit Avid, I get a message saying 'Unable to write shared user settings file.  Make sure directory exists and is accessible'

Other than this, everything works.  But this is bothering me.  Is there something I can do so that Avid 'sees' this directory, and can access it?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 4 2012 9:26 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 17,980

I should add that, in fact, Avid does seem to access this .avs file (in Shared/AvidMediaComposer/Avid Users/malcolm_hamilton), despite the message I get each time I quit.  

I just checked this .avs file, and can see that it was indeed updated when I was just editing.

So I find that odd.

n.b. what I hope I don't have to do is create a new user profile from scratch.  I don't know about the rest of you, but, just as an example, to have to figure out how to disable SmartTools—I did it a couple years ago but don't remember how I did it—and re-map half my keyboard (I don't even know what some of my preferred key commands are called) seems like a big task. 

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 4 2012 10:51 PM In reply to

.avs files are Avid Settings.  Both projects and user profiles use these.  In both cases, the name of the project or user will be followed by Settings.avs ..

ProjectName Settings.avs

UserName Settings.avs

The user profiles will be located in the following folder structure ...

Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > AvidMediaComposer > Avid Users > Computer Login Name >

The Avid projects can be located in either or both of two places.  If you choose "Shared", they will be in ...

Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > AvidMediaComposer >Shared Avid Projects

If you choose "Private", the projects are located here ...

Macintosh HD > Users >Computer Login Name > Documents > Avid Projects >

As for rebuilding your User Profile, moving forward, make a backup copy once it's done, and keep that is a safe place.  That can also be a location on the local HDD.  Store it in a folder with the name = MC Version.  User Profiles need to be rebuilt from scratch when moving to a full version upgrade.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Sat, May 5 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 17,980

Thanks Randall, but do you know why I'm getting the message: 'Unable to write shared user settings file.  Make sure directory exists and is accessible'

And also, do you know how I can get rid of this message?  As I mentioned, Avid does indeed seem to be updating the shared user setting file... so the directory does seem to be accessible.

Regards, Malcolm

• Sat, May 5 2012 3:25 PM In reply to

Malcolm:

We sometimes see the same message after initially importing a user profile from our central folder on ISIS/Unity to a particular platform. Usually, browsing to the user's folder where it's placed on the particular platform to re-define that path after import solves the problem.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 5 2012 3:36 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 17,980

Hi Larry,

I'll try this later today when I can fire up my Mac Pro.  When you say you browse to the folder (to remind Avid where it is), do you mean do this in Finder, or is there a way of doing this in Avid?

thanks so much, Malcolm

• Sat, May 5 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

I tell folks not to mess with user settings at finder/explorer level.

When in MC with the user settings you want to copy active. Go to settings and then click on the user setting and in the drop down choose export.

Direct the export to a memory stick.

Then in the destination MC open settings and choose import and poin to the memory stick and the correctly names user setting and import.

This is safer as it will check and update any settings that need it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, May 5 2012 6:05 PM In reply to

Malcolm:

If I recall correctly, that specific error window gives you the click on option to browse. Navigate to the specific .avs user file on the local platform you're on. It should also have a "continue" click on option, if it's the same error window I've been getting.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, May 5 2012 10:44 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,446
    • Points 17,980

thanks so much Larry, Randall and Pat... 

Larry, I didn't have the browse option in my error window, so I was still stuck, but I kind of followed Pat's advice—first of all, I realized the truth of what he said about not messing around with user settings at Finder level:  so true!  Second, after quitting Avid, I moved my user settings (at Finder level, I confess) out of the right Avid folder, and then re-launched Avid.  I got a window telling me that Avid couldn't find my user settings, and this window gave me the option of browsing for my user settings.  I pointed Avid to the right user settings folder, and presto!  Avid opened with the proper settings, and then quit without complaint, and started without complaint.

So I'm good to go now.  Thanks, everyone, for your patience.  Don't mess with user settings at Finder level; export and import settings within Avid... lessons learned!

Regards, Malcolm

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller