Latest post Tue, Apr 10 2012 4:27 PM by newplasticmachine. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 10 2012 1:09 AM

ALEXA multiple frame rates editing 24 base

I shot a bunch of footage with the Alexa, all progressive 1080p. Some of it overcranked to make it slomotion. Everything came in via AMA just fine, looks great no problems. Except, the 40fps footage has noticable ghosting as if I'm seeing multiple frames on fast movement. The entire image becomes somewhat smeery, and it clearly is not motion blur.

It doesn't look this way on the source files, nor does it look this way in FCP. I also transcoded the files and still have the same issues. I assume it's how avid is processing frames in quicktime. Done this many times importing frames with no issues.

Any other people experience this?

iMac 10.7 MC6.0

• Tue, Apr 10 2012 5:58 AM In reply to

Re: ALEXA multiple frame rates editing 24 base

Perhaps the frame base is off? Meaning that MC sees the shot as something other than 24fps.

If you splice the 40fps shot into a timeline, does the shot get a green dot? If so, that is a Motion Adapter, correcting the speed of the source clip so that it plays in realtime. If you then open Tools->Motion Effects Editor, what speed does it show?

If the problem is that the base rate of the shot is seen as something other than 24fps, you can force MC to pull the shot up or down to 24fps by typing 'SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 24.000' into the Console (CMD-8) before AMA-linking. 'SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate false' to turn it off.

Or, with a traditional import (rather than AMA), you can use 'IgnoreQTRate true' to force a frame-by-frame import of shots that are not in the project's frame rate. Although for IgnoreQTRate to work, the source needs to be video-only; any audio track will make IgnoreQTRate fail to work.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 10 2012 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: ALEXA multiple frame rates editing 24 base

The command "SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 24.000" fixed it!

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it.

-eric

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller