Latest post Mon, Apr 9 2012 8:26 PM by hbrock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 7 2012 3:56 PM

• Tinto7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 10 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

HD composite capture from a computer for AVID 5.5

Dear Avid Community,

Editing a documentary which I may have mentioned before (will definately provide a link to view when it's finished-as you guys on here are amazing in my journey to master AVID.)  So in my documentary i want to capture some HD compistes from my computer... i.e facebook action animations - think of that Kony viral - link here think 3:58 shows what i'm talking about.    

Blackmagic design have a HD capture thunderbolt option it's called intensity extreme last on the page it's 300 bucks. Would go for the slighter cheaper Shuttle option but slightly confused/intrigued by intensity exteme option of Avid 6.0 compatability.  (I'm running 5.5 as I started the project in 5.5 and don't want to upgrade before I finished the project).  

My question is this what I need?  If i wanted to do fancy Facebook animation and in the future computer animation with pro tools and avid punching in on a soundwave on a timeline?  What are the avid community's thoughts?  better alternatives?  cheaper options?

I like the idea of the intensity option because it's external which is great for my 15'' mac book pro and I get to make use of my Thunderbolt port.  

Happy Easter to everyone.

And as always many thanks for reading and responses.  

-Tinto7 

MacBookPro 8,2, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2.3ghz. Avid Media Composer 5.5 and a cool german logic keyboard avid :-) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:43 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: HD composite capture from a computer for AVID 5.5

IO devices like the Blackmagic intensity are used to get video signals into and out of the computer.  They're needed for the capture of HD signals from cameras or decks and the output singnal is used to feed a TV monitor or a VCR.  Getting something off of your computer screen into the Avid is another matter.  There are differnt software solutions to get a screen grab converted into a format that's compatible with your Avid project and there are ways to get computer animation into the Avid without using any hardware.  In other words, for the potential uses you list in your post, you may not need any external hardware at all.

And the Kony link doesn't work (apparently they got some footage without clearance from the copyright owners).

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

• Tinto7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 10 2011
    • Posts 25
    • Points 395

Cheers hbrock.  I actually forgot to mention I want to grab some Xbox gaming from a HD tv - so obviously I need to connect HDMI output on the tv. So that was my thinking behind the external device.  I was just wondering the difference between these two models of external device the intensity shuttle thunderbolt and the intensity shuttle extreme - http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/ - the later stating it's compatiable with AVID.  I'd like to go for the cheaper but yes I want the device to work with AVID etc.  Does anyone in the avid community have experience with this?

Apologies for the Kony link not working.  Re. copyright thoughts or peoples' view of this much talked about viral, the facebook animation is incredibly impressive and I was wondering how they managed to achieve that or how you achieve something similar.  

Heartfelt thanks 

-Tinto7

MacBookPro 8,2, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 2.3ghz. Avid Media Composer 5.5 and a cool german logic keyboard avid :-) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 9 2012 8:26 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

If a IO device is not specifically supported don't assume it will work.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller