Latest post Fri, Apr 6 2012 3:43 PM by chefner. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:20 PM

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Interplay and External Drives

We have a workflow that sometimes require we take the project folder and all of the media for that project and move it to an external drive to send to another location.  Prior to Interplay, we would create a matching workspcae for every project, so when this type of request came in, it was simply a matter of copying the contents of the workspace and the project folder to the external drive and send it on its way.

With Interplay we are forced to consolidate the media within a project because all of the media for every project lives on one giant workspace and there is no clear way to isolate just one project's media.  Even the Avid techs we spoke with verified this.  The problem is that we were forced to consolidate all of the media for a project that Interplay said consisted of almost 2TB worth of media.  Needless to say, this consolidate took 65 man-hours to complete.  There has to be a better way...right?

• Wed, Apr 4 2012 9:36 PM In reply to

• Jens Hoppe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Frankfurt, Germany
    • Posts 61
    • Points 730
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Interplay and External Drives

Hi,

you might want to have a look at this product (in case you didn't know it):

http://www.marquisbroadcast.com/project-parking.html

It would perfectly match your request but... it's not free. It might be worth it comparing man-hours against invest.

cheers,

Jens

MacPro, MBP, Z400, Z420, Z820, MN5, ISIS5000, Interplay... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

"... forced ..."

Why forced?  We use a separate Workspsce for every project.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ Discovery Studios West
    (wwld)

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 1:45 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Randall,

I should have clarified, we are a facility with 20+ edit suites and approx 400+ active projects at any given time.   Projects can live from 10 days to 9 months depending on the needs of the client.

From what I know of interplay, creating and deleting multiple workspaces on a daily basis wiould be cumbersome and unrealistic.  We are basically set up to have one large workspace per client (totaling between 3o and 100 projects)

How do you manage workspaces? 

Jens- Will check this out.  Thanks all for your replies!

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 1:59 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Munich
    • Posts 425
    • Points 4,750
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi,

in Interplay, you do not manage workspaces, but you manage media. All projects are tracked through the database on a folder level with dedicated access rights to the media. You could use only one workspace for everything, but typically you set up some more because of separating the media in e.g. ingest, render, departments.

You would set up the database to have one folder for the client, with subfolders representing the projects.

cheers

-chris

MC/Symphony 8.2 | MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 17" [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

ACI | Trainer | Workflow Consultant

Splash!Zone

AVIDFORUM.DE - German Avid User Forum

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 2:29 PM In reply to

We choose to use separate Workspaces for each show. It takes just minutes to set this up.  Create the Workspace.  Add to table in Interplay System Configuration.

The Workspace also acts as a container for all the elements.  Except that non-Avid media assets are stored on Nearline until needed.

Symphony 8.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Rack, HP z420, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 2:49 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Chris, 

That I understand, and that is how we have it set up.  My question is how do you isolate all the media for one project and copy it to an external drive without consolidating which is cumbersome, too time-consuming, and totally unrealistic in a fast paced post environment with 20 rooms and 400 active projects.

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Randall,

How many projects/workspaces are on your Interplay and ISIS at any given time?

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

34 Workspaces right now.  However, all "Development" projects are on a single Workspace.

(wwld)

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:08 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Randall L Rike:

34 Workspaces right now.  However, all "Development" projects are on a single Workspace.

Yeah that was what I was afraid of.  We are dealing with over 400 projects at any given time.

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 6:04 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Jens Hoppe:

Hi,

you might want to have a look at this product (in case you didn't know it):

http://www.marquisbroadcast.com/project-parking.html

It would perfectly match your request but... it's not free. It might be worth it comparing man-hours against invest.

Jens, this looks good.  I forwarded it on to my engineers to evaluate.  Do you have first person experience with it?

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 6:14 PM In reply to

How much is it?  No price listed on their website.

(wwld)

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 7:25 PM In reply to

• Jens Hoppe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Frankfurt, Germany
    • Posts 61
    • Points 730

Hi again,

yes - we do have first person experience. We had a very close look at it before deciding to sell it. It's about 7200 EURO (9.400$?). That's not cheap but the solution is very different from other solutions (e.g. good old Media Mover) as it analyzes projects and it's bins, clips and sequences and does not only scan mediafiles for their project-signature.

cheers,

Jens

MacPro, MBP, Z400, Z420, Z820, MN5, ISIS5000, Interplay... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 6 2012 3:43 PM In reply to

• chefner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Jens Hoppe:

Hi again,

yes - we do have first person experience. We had a very close look at it before deciding to sell it. It's about 7200 EURO (9.400$?). That's not cheap but the solution is very different from other solutions (e.g. good old Media Mover) as it analyzes projects and it's bins, clips and sequences and does not only scan mediafiles for their project-signature.

cheers,

Jens

Sounds good.  My head engineer is going to meet with them at NAB next week.  Is your Interplay environment set up where you have one large workspace for multiple projects (sometimes up to 100 projects) or one workspace per project?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller