Latest post Wed, Sep 12 2012 2:40 PM by Job ter Burg. 17 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 9:35 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD 175x to Apple ProRes 422 HQ - HELP!

Can you upload a picture of what the issue looks like?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:39 AM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 11 2012
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

Hi Job,

The pixelated image can be seen here:

http://www.branchoutmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Example-Reference-Test.png

The original can be seen here:

http://www.branchoutmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Example-Original-Test.png

Basically, if I transcode to Prores MXF and export Same-as-source I can get an image that matches the quality of the original. Phew. But that's not the end of it. I can only transcode to Prores MXF, the same does not work for any of the DNxHD codecs. Also, transcoding to Prores tells me it needs about 10x the space it actually needs, so for a 80minute film it says I need over a Tb of space when the resulting file only takes up 120gb. And it won't let me do the transcode unless I have the expected space, so I've had to break the timeline up into 3 parts and reassemble it.

Then I found that where I had things that required rendering (like titles) it was giving me the same pixelation on those parts. So I thought, I'll change the render codec to Prores MXF and that will solve the problem. It did. Except for cross dissolves, which didn't render and instead gave me a freeze-frame in the resulting export.

So my process now is to transcode (which I've done) Render everything to Prores MXF. Then Video Mixdown to Prores MXF for the areas that have cross-dissolves. I've done a test and this works. But what a process. I tried going straight to the mixdown without transcoding and that didn't work, same pixelation.

Your help has been great. Thanks for persevering.

James

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2012 2:40 PM In reply to

Hard to compare, since one has a different grade than the other. That in itself could contribute to the display of artefacts.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller