Latest post Tue, May 21 2013 1:06 PM by TravisB. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 8:53 PM

• TravisB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 8 2010
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Moving media files on Unity is slow

Moving media within same workspace is slow.

I have seen this before on several systems, and wondering if anyone has a solution.  System setup is Unity Server MN 5.1.3 16TB media engine.  Clients are connected via fiber working on a MacPro 12 core 2.66ghz with OS 10.6.8 and MN 5.5.1 client software.  I have tried using MN 5.2 and 5.3.3 all with same problem.  When I try and move media files from a folder roughly containting 5,000 files to another folder within the same workspace it takes extremely long(30 minutes or longer)  I am not copying files, just moving them.  I try grabing smaller number of files at a time, which seems to help slightly.  Seems like the finder is trying to index all of the files constantly. 

If I map network drives on the unity and follow the same process, the procedure is instant.  However this shouldn't be a problem from the client system.

Thanks for any information.

• Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:30 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Re: Moving media files on Unity is slow

We're running an old LANSHARE EX3 with the 4.2.4 software, and we have also found that moving/copying files onto the Unity has always been really slow. However - we're all Ethernet clients, not fibre.

I'm sure one of the Unity gurus will be able to answer better - but I assume the slow copying is because of the way the Unity processes the Metadata - and also the fact that (in our case anyway) all the workspaces are protected, so the Unity has to think about two files instead of one (which is done in software, not hardware I believe).

It may seem crazy - but sometimes we'll just plug a USB drive into the LANSHARE directly to copy files to the Unity, as it's faster than copying over the network!

That said though - once the files are on there, the Unity is quick as a whip, and more than capable of juggling multiple edit suites and large quantities of footage - and our little LANSHARE is definitely getting on in years. 

• Sun, Mar 25 2012 11:16 PM In reply to

TravisB:

Seems like the finder is trying to index all of the files constantly. 

I'm betting you answered your own question here.  Make sure Spotlight is configured to IGNORE network attached drives and Unity Workspaces.  then you might find this works much better.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 2:58 PM In reply to

• TravisB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

After testing further on several different systems (unity and isis) I have seen a common problem with managing files on the finder level.  Especially with opening OMFI media file folders, the system is extremely slow.  Avid posted the following in regards to finder level copying on Macs.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/fr/Troubleshooting/fr425611

This still seems like a major issue and I am surprised that I have not seen more post reffering to this issue.  

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:08 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Thanks for sharing the link! I've never seen that article before.

I'm going to do some speed comparisions between ARR Sync and just using Finder.

I'm also going to do some tests between copying a folder and copying the contents of a folder.

Surely there must be a solution on the developers end to this? Every NAS and SAN in the world must have to deal with the same issue of a seperate Resource & Data Folk - so I'm sure there's a solution.

I'm actually very surprised that the ISIS you tested had the same issue.

Have you been testing with Fibre or only 1GbE?

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:17 PM In reply to

• TravisB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

We have a Force10 25P switch with 10G uplink.  The client systems are all connected via fiber.  The client systems running os 10.6.8 are extremely slow, and I am going to test systems running 10.7.2 to see if there is a difference.

• Thu, May 16 2013 10:49 PM In reply to

• Ricola
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 16 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 65

TravisB and Chris Hocking,  Have you done these tests yet? I'm curious what you've learned.

• Tue, May 21 2013 1:06 PM In reply to

• TravisB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 265

Unfortunately I continue to have slow finder level issues.  The workaround I have done is to use a windows cpu for finder level migrations.  Not always possible, but on bigger projects it saves us a lot of time and frustration.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller