Latest post Fri, Mar 23 2012 8:01 PM by mar/cus. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:27 PM

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

color problem when exporting

Got problems when exporting from Avid.

I first exported my sequence in QT SAS. When playing the video in quicktime player (the QT one I got with my mac) the colors is a total mess, the blacks is too high and the overall image is a bit reddish.

But when playing with quicktime 7 the video is alot better and the problem is pretty much solved, it's only a little bit warmer than in Avid and the colors are little washed out. 

When I export from Avid with h.264 compression the problem with colors being a complete mess, the blacks being too high (like with SAS played in my standard QT player) are showned in both players...

I have no idea how to solve this. Does anyone know why this problem accrue?

MacPro 2013 Quad-Core - Dual AMD FirePro D300 - 32GB Memory, PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 18 TB, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express, Avid Omni HD Native, Artist Mix... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 22 2012 3:00 PM In reply to

Re: color problem when exporting

I never use QuickTime X.  I have heard a number of complaints about it.  So I installed QT 7 Pro and use that to open all QuickTime movies.

If you are exporting from Avid for a computer screen, you want to make sure you are exporting RGB (0-255) instead of 709 (16-235) so you get the full range of luminance.  Then it will naturally look better and less washed out.

I also never use MC for any other encoding.  Do a QT SAS or QT Ref and then use QT Pro or Squeeze to make your h264 files.  Doesn't tie up the system and I think it works better, since Avid is using the QuickTime X architecture when it exports.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Mar 23 2012 8:01 PM In reply to

• mar/cus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • sweden
    • Posts 102
    • Points 1,420

Re: color problem when exporting

oh thanks, that worked great! :)

My project is in 709 and my import settings as well, should they also be RBG for best color performance? Or is it just when I export that I should have RGB?

MacPro 2013 Quad-Core - Dual AMD FirePro D300 - 32GB Memory, PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 18 TB, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express, Avid Omni HD Native, Artist Mix... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller