Latest post Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:31 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:06 PM

• JEDRZEJ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • POLAND
    • Posts 29
    • Points 380

Avid 6.0.1 BUGS & NEW FCPX

We do not have time to search for bugs in the software Avid MC.
    We have to deal with the work to earn money for a living.
    Microsoft has hired new developers to create Windows 7
    Previous were probably too stupid. Is Avid can do the same?
    Avid Media Composer 6,0,1 = Windows Vista
    Apple gave the market FINAL CUT X for $ 300 after
    listening to customers, and in version 10.0.3 running almost everything! Free trials for 30 days.

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 5:19 PM In reply to

Re: Avid 6.0.1 BUGS & NEW FCPX

Okay, I'll bite...

JEDRZEJ:
    We do not have time to search for bugs in the software Avid MC.
    We have to deal with the work to earn money for a living.

So you have time to deal with the bugs and other shortcomings found in Final Cut X?

JEDRZEJ:
    Avid Media Composer 6,0,1 = Windows Vista

And also Mac OS 10.7.1 or 10.7.2

JEDRZEJ:
    Apple gave the market FINAL CUT X for $ 300 after
    listening to customers,

The thing is though, they didn't listen to their professional customers.  They listened to their consumer customers. 

JEDRZEJ:
    Free trials for 30 days.

Avid also offers a free trial for 30 days.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:31 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Buffalo, New York, USA
    • Posts 923
    • Points 11,685
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Media Composer has had a 30 day free trial for a long time now. Here: http://apps.avid.com/media-composer-trial/. Not only that, here are other free trials by Avid: http://www.avid.com/us/specialoffers/product-trials. All of them are full versions that simply time-out at the end of the trial.  So if you have a project that will take less than 30 days, it's TOTALLY finished and exported  -  unlike other software trials that just let you edit one minute of video or whatever.

Can someone please list for me exactly what bugs in MC6 are so crippling that you can't make money off of it?  I have used every single major and minor upgrade for the past four years and have NEVER run into a situation so desperate that I had to turn away work.  Every time I see someone throwing their hands in the air because of non-crippling software bugs, I imagine an angry college kid abandoning his car on the side of the road because his iPod isn't syncing with the stereo correctly.

I have 7 Avids. All of them run on systems approved by Avid. Yeah...that's a lie...yet they all work! ;) [view my complete system specs]

"Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart."

Pixel Monkey  |  Chris Bové  Editor (website)  |  Vice Chair, Avid CAC 

Twitter: @heybove   Skype: "alwaysediting"

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:38 PM In reply to

Pixel Monkey:
    I imagine an angry college kid abandoning his car on the side of the road because his iPod isn't syncing with the stereo correctly.

More like "because it got a flat tire".  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:28 PM In reply to

just playing devils advocate here. The original poster has obviuosly never tried FCP-X cause it is riddled with bugs. 

but, the Core Audio Underrun bug in 6.0 was definately a showstopper.. Like completely. You coudlnt play back files on a timeline at all. I had to roll back to 5.5.3 and while it didnt cost me money, it wouldve for someone who just started with version 6 with no old version to bounce back to. That said, im using 6.01 with almost as much confidence as i had with 5.5.3

1.Imac i7 mid 2011 - 16gb Ram - OSX 10.9.4. MC 8.2 - Blackmagic Desktop driver 9.9.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:43 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Buffalo, New York, USA
    • Posts 923
    • Points 11,685
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Curious... Which system were you running it on?  I moved my whole business to 6.0 in October and haven't looked back once.  Didn't see that underrun bug at any time.

I have 7 Avids. All of them run on systems approved by Avid. Yeah...that's a lie...yet they all work! ;) [view my complete system specs]

"Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart."

Pixel Monkey  |  Chris Bové  Editor (website)  |  Vice Chair, Avid CAC 

Twitter: @heybove   Skype: "alwaysediting"

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:56 PM In reply to

Robert Goodman :
    while it didnt cost me money, it wouldve for someone who just started with version 6 with no old version to bounce back to

I don't understand how having to install an older version would've cost money to anyone (other than time to download and install)?  If said person bought v6 and are licensed to run v6, then they can also run v5.5 and prior - all versions of Media Composer are free to download at will by anyone.  The license is what you pay for.  

Granted, if a system was built to optimize v6 then perhaps having to download and install v5.5 would've caused some headaches (ie, OS downgrade etc), but it's not the sort of thing that would be cost-prohibitive to most who are operating a business.  

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:06 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    I don't understand how having to install an older version would've cost money to anyone (other than time to download and install)?

They probably figure if they'd known ahead of time they'd have problems with 6.0, they wouldn't have spent the money on the upgrade.  It's not that it cost them to downgrade, but that they could've avoided the hassle & expense of upgrading.  Just a guess.

With regard to Chris' question about what bug is a showstopper, I'd consider the keyboard one - the one that causes non-English keyboards not to work properly - to be in that category.  I'm not saying the level of hysterical vitriol we see in posts like the one that started this thread is warranted, just that I can understand why someone with a keyboard that doesn't function as intended might find 5.5 a better solution than 6.0.

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

I don't understand how having to install an older version would've cost money to anyone (other than time to download and install)?  If said person bought v6 and are licensed to run v6, then they can also run v5.5 and prior - all versions of Media Composer are free to download at will by anyone.  The license is what you pay for.  

Granted, if a system was built to optimize v6 then perhaps having to download and install v5.5 would've caused some headaches (ie, OS downgrade etc), but it's not the sort of thing that would be cost-prohibitive to most who are operating a business.  

Devil's Advocate here:

A new purchase of 6.0 does not inherently allow someone to use a 5.5 license. you need a dongle for that.  you would have to call Avid, have them deactivate your current license, and grant you a license string and activation code for 5.5.

so it *IS* kind of a hastle that Dongle Users don't experience.  (a 15 minute call)

Also, because of OS downgrades, and the frequency in which Apple releases OS Updates is EXACTLY why i am still on (and will continue to be on) Windows 7.  I'll only get screwed once upgrading to SP1....

Symphony 6.5.3 Win7x64 Pro HP 8740w Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) MC 7.0 +Symphony Option - HP z420 16GB RAM [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Mar 20 2012 11:23 PM In reply to

not too mention you buy some hardware to go along with MC 6, like Blackmagic, Aja, etc that doesnt work with 5.5 and below. Id be right pissed. 

and for the record, there was about a million other people having the CORE AUDIO UNDERRUN error, and it was indeed a showstopper, on two different qualified machines. Theres a huge thread about it still circulating in the first few pages of this forum. Thankfully 6.01 fixed pretty much all my bugs except some stuff with BlackMagic but then thats not entitely up to Avid to fix and i can still work as i need to. 

1.Imac i7 mid 2011 - 16gb Ram - OSX 10.9.4. MC 8.2 - Blackmagic Desktop driver 9.9.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:31 AM In reply to

Good points about the hardware and dongle vs SLA.  With all versions pre-v6, I don't think these sorts of things would have been as big of a deal.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller