Latest post Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:40 PM by Randall L. Rike. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 2 2012 6:51 PM

• Stepa1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 3 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Data base auto scanned then media went off line

I have been happily working on a project all day when suddenly the databases auto scanned out of the blue, now the media appears offline.

1. I have checked the mxf media on my G-Mini drive, and it is all still there in the right place
    2.  The Relink Media function does not help, I've tried all the suggested button selections to widen the re-link parameters
    3.  I have deleted both the MSM Media Database files and restarted, this did not help.  Also I did this and restarted the whole mac, no joy.
    4.  Curiously some voice over guide track I recorded locally is the only thing left on line (I have checked another project I am working on and this media is also offline).

Is there a known glitch where this can happen?  I am running v5.5.3 on Mac Lion version 10.7.3.  Also my G Drive Mini is formatted Tuxera NTFS.  Any suggestions to sort me out?

Many thanks

Steve

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 7:19 PM In reply to

Re: Data base auto scanned then media went off line

Although probably not the cause of Media Offline ... the last supported OSX for 5.5.3 is 10.7.0.  Even MC v6.0.1 is limited to 10.7.2.  Also, NTFS translation utilities, e.g., Tuxera or Paragon, are not suitable for "editing".  They can't support sustained bandwidth.

Meanwhile, several users have recently reported media offline/failures to properly rebuild media databases with 10.7 and Paragon and/or Tuxera.  I would suggest you call Tuxera.

Was this a recent upgrade to 10.7.3?

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/105497/611168.aspx#611168

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/106107/615527.aspx#615527

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia v331.65, 2TB Boot,... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:47 PM In reply to

• Stepa1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

Thanks for looking at this.  I can now nail he problem down a bit further.  When I re-build the data bases on my drive using the PC Avids at work, then plug the drive back into my Macbook Pro Avid, everything works fine on my mac book pro.  It's only when my Mac decides to do its own data base update that the media goes off line.  So the Avid works fine with my configuartioin but the data base build does not.  Do you have any more suggestions?  If not do you know if there is a way to prevent my mac avid doing a database build?

Cheers

Steve

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 10:59 PM In reply to

Your PC's at work can rebuild the media databases because the NTFS volume is native to them.  The NTFS volume, being translated by Tuxera (or Paragon) cannot rebuild the databases, possibly due to a conflict with OSX 10.7 and these types of utilities.  As there are multiple reports of this same symptom, it would seem that Paragon and Tuxera need to resolve the issues.

"... If not do you know if there is a way to prevent my mac avid doing a database build? ..."

Sure.  Never add, remove, or change the contents of the media folder(s) on the NTFS volume.  Or, copy the media to a Mac-Formatted drive, which is the recommended process.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia v331.65, 2TB Boot,... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:24 PM In reply to

• Stepa1
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 115

I don't think I can get the PC Avid to transfer MXF media direct to my Mac drive, so Im getting that a workflow of...

1.  Transfer media from PC Avid onto Tuxera NTFS drive

2.  Plug Tuxera NTFS drive into mac and transfer the media again, this time onto a mac formatted drive

Slightly long winded when there's lots of media but if that's the only way!

I guess I could partition my Mac Drive to be part NTFS Tuxera and part Mac formatted, and that would work too if I move the MXF media from NTFS to Mac area for editing?

Steve

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 11:40 PM In reply to

"... 1.  Transfer media from PC Avid onto Tuxera NTFS drive ..."

Get MacDrive on the PC, and copy the media directly from the originsl PC volume to a Mac-formatted volume.  That's just one copy.

"... I could partition my Mac Drive to be part NTFS Tuxera and part Mac formatted ..."

I haven't had much luck in formatting a single physical drive into one volme as NTFS and a second volume as Mac-formatted.  It's been a long time since I tried, but the above MacDrive recommendation is cleaner anyway.

(wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller