Latest post Thu, Mar 8 2012 2:15 AM by Mark. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:41 AM

• S.Faris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 29 2012
    • "the Net"
    • Posts 16
    • Points 260

System requirements for MC-6 PC Video card ? please

Hello,

I have been using Pinnacle 14 HD Ultimate for about 6 months now. I tried Vegas, Corell, thought about FCP and have decided to go with Media Composer 6 for my editing software. So... of course I have to build a new computer, Avid has some minimum specs such as these:

Computer: Avid-qualified Windows-based computer or laptop2 (see details)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz processor or faster

Memory: 4 GB of RAM (6+ GB of RAM recommended)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX family3 (FX 560 or higher) 1 GB of dedicated mem on video card...

Internal Hard Drive: Minimum 80 GB 7200 rpm hard disk

It seems that I keep reading that Nvidia is the preferred one with this software, however on a computer building forum, Tom's I was shared this config and for what appears to be a better deal for price and size. Is the way to go....

BIG QUESTION? Will this Video card Jibe with MC-6? HD 6950 ATI:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=HD+6950++ATI&x=17&y=15

I am considering going with this config and wanted to know if there are any pitfalls or compatability issues with this hardware and MC 6 software?

Win7 Pro srvc pk1

CPU - i5-2500k - $220 - 3.3ghz
    Motherboard - Gigabyte Z68 -
    RAM - CT2KIT51264BA1339 - - 8 gb of ram
    Video Card - HD 6950 -  - 2Gb of dedicated RAM for video card
    SSD - Crucial M4 64GB -
    HD - 1TB from not-Hitachi -
    PSU - XFX 650w -
    Case - HAF 912 -
    Extra 120/140 mm fans -
    Internal Wireless Card -for if and when my net goes go down I can hop onto my Droid for temp

Thanks in advance for your help

I think the only thing I would need is an I/O for an HDMI out right?

z77 Platform_ Intel 3770k Cpu_ Nvidia Quadro 4000 Gpu_32Gb Kingston Ram_ 2 Plextor Pro SSD's_ 3tb Seagate_hdd's_Dell Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:51 AM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,641
    • Points 19,850

Re: System requirements for MC-6 PC Video card ? please

Avid specifies nVidia cards for a reason - their code is opimized for it.  If you are building a new computer from scratch for editing, then my honest opinion is that it would be foolish to deviate from the hardware that Avid specifies. 

Also, make sure your internal drives are 7200RPM.

Finally, if budget allows, I would spring for an i7 chip as opposed to an i5.  Avid is an intensive program and the more processor power and memory you have, the better off you will be editing.

My 2 cents.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:14 AM In reply to

• S.Faris
    • Not Ranked
    • "the Net"
    • Posts 16
    • Points 260

Thank you for your direction, I too think an I7 is the way to go but to compare the video card I was told this:

HD 6950 is an ATI (and/or AMD) video card that competes with the 560ti. -Nvidia

The HD 6970 is the one that competes with the GTX 570. -Nvidia

As for the HD 6950 not being enough to handle the Studio 6 program, the FX 580 is a 1GB card with 40w TDP video card with 128 bits of bandwidth and 32 cores.

The HD 6950 has a 256 bit interface, about 225w TDP, 2GBs of RAM, vs 1408 stream processors.

A nvidia core is worth about 5 stream processors, so that is 32 vs ~280 for the AMD.

Unless the Studio 6 program only works with Quadro cards, which I doubt, the AMD should be able to do the same thing as about 10 Quadro cards.

Who has the answer to the Code written for these Video cards?

z77 Platform_ Intel 3770k Cpu_ Nvidia Quadro 4000 Gpu_32Gb Kingston Ram_ 2 Plextor Pro SSD's_ 3tb Seagate_hdd's_Dell Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:47 AM In reply to

I have an older system with a 4850.

Works fine there,

It should be better to go with 560ti.

This is what I would do or I will do at the future,

However Avid only supports Quadro.

It doesn't matter what is faster.

More like what MC is written and tested on.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(320.78)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software with Symphony Option/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:36 AM In reply to

netcommercial:

Unless the Studio 6 program only works with Quadro cards, which I doubt, the AMD should be able to do the same thing as about 10 Quadro cards.

Who has the answer to the Code written for these Video cards?

It is not about specs. Avid has written some of the features, including Full Screen Playback and 3D FX based on NVidia's implementation of OpenGL.

You will likely disable certain functionalities if you go with AMD.

MC 7.0.3, Intel i7 920, Windows 7 64 bit SP1, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti - v331.82, 16 GB of RAM, QT 7.7, X-Fi Titanium Professional, MSI X58 SLI Platinum, ASUS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:39 AM In reply to

• S.Faris
    • Not Ranked
    • "the Net"
    • Posts 16
    • Points 260

Thanks for letting me know about the support end of it.

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:43 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,125

If you want some better guidlines to follow for building a video editing system you would be better off reading the DIY article on the Videoguys.com web site.  Toms Hardware is geared more toward gaming rigs and things than video editing and they are two different beast.  Videoguys has some new recomended builds and outline them using the various chipset that would make a good guide for you to use.  You would be well served to stay away from the AMD card on the windows side of MC since it is optimised for the Quadro cards.  MC is a very picky piece of software when it comes to the hardware it likes and you are far better off following the guidlines given by Avid than trying to experment with what "you" think may work best.  Avid will disable certain features when it does not detect a qualified video card and you could find yourself with a new computer banging your head against the wall trying to get MC to run properly...  YOu can build yourself a very nice editing station following Avid's guidlines, there is no reason to try and experment.  Do not think a great gaming system will make a great editing system... It most likely will not...

Good Luck to you and I would suggest since you have the resource avaiable that you run your system specs by the members of this forum first before building the system.  There are a LOT of expeerienced useers on here running the full spectrum of hardware that will share their experience and thoughts with you...

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

It's not black or white only.

Dom,

at least my 4850 and FSP works fine.

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(320.78)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software with Symphony Option/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 2:58 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 27 2012
    • Columbia, South Carolina
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

FWIW.

I discovered I came out cheaper going to HP's website and locating a refurbished z400 3.33 GHz 6MB RAM that matched AVID's z400 specs from their business outlet.  Added a Quadro FX 2000 and the whole deal was around $2500.

I was going to custom build a system, but it wound up pricing out $1000 higher than going the refurbished route.

HP 8730W - Win 7-64. MC 6.01 HP z400 - Win 7-64. MC 6.01 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:21 PM In reply to

netcommercial:
    I am considering going with this config and wanted to know if there are any pitfalls or compatability issues with this hardware and MC 6 software?

Dom Q. Silverio:
    It is not about specs. Avid has written some of the features, including Full Screen Playback and 3D FX based on NVidia's implementation of OpenGL.

You will likely disable certain functionalities if you go with AMD.

George Angeludis:
    It's not black or white only.

Dom,

at least my 4850 and FSP works fine.

This discussion is one which comes up a lot, and I think the answer comes down to which type of user you (generic "you", not anyone specific) are.

If you're a freelance or staff editor and you're buying this system for work, and you need it to run like a Swiss watch all day every day because every hour you spend tweaking drivers or troubleshooting display problems is an hour you're not making any money, then buy a system that meets the system requirements and go on your merry way safe in the knowledge your machine will work.

If you're a hobbyist or an editor who is also really good at system configuration, and you enjoy solving problems that may arise from using untested configurations, and it's not the end of the world if you have to spend a few days sorting out drivers and whatnot, then listen to the advice being given here and then pick the components you want.  Understand, though, that nobody can tell you for certain that a particular configuration will work unless they're running the exact same setup already.  Understand also if you run into a problem you can't solve with a system that doesn't meet the system requirements, you may be out of luck getting support for it directly from Avid, as they only qualify & test a certain number of components.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.0) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:31 PM In reply to

Carl,

this would be totally true if the supported devices have had no problems.

But this is not the case.

A VGA is just a device that SHOWS something on a monitor.

It doesn't affect the editing per se.

I have had zero problems with all the Geforces and at the ATI card.

But if you want or need support from Avid which is doing this to be as sure as possible

-and this is a very professional thing they do- for their customers then you should go by the book.

I say all of those because I don't like people getting afraid of trying Media Composer

if they don't have the right setup. And for that only.

I DO NOT SAY DO NOT GO BY THE BOOK.

Just take a small taste of MC and then try to understand what's bad or good for it,

as it will be growing inside you.

But first try it and see why this is the best NLE in the world.

Because it is.

And it is progressing...

Desktop

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

Netcommerical:

Keep in mind that if you have a computer and you're wondering whether or not Media Composer will run on it properly, you can always download the 30 day free trial version and take it for a test drive. Then, after 30 days of testing, you'll have your answer.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:07 PM In reply to

Hi George,

George Angeludis:
    this would be totally true if the supported devices have had no problems.

But this is not the case.

Yes, there are problems even with supported systems, but if someone needs immediate help with a problem on a supported system because otherwise they're losing money, they can call Avid Support and get it.  If they're on a non-supported system, they're on their own.  This is why I made a distinction between people who need the system to run all day every day and people who can afford a few days of down time.

George Angeludis:
    I have had zero problems with all the Geforces and at the ATI card.

I know, but you're the type of editor who is good at tweaking video cards to trick a system into thinking a GeForce is a Quadro FX, and solving driver problems, and you seem to enjoy that sort of testing and troubleshooting.  That's great, but that doesn't mean I'd advise someone who doesn't like that sort of thing or isn't good at it to get an ATI card.  

In other words, not all users have the same level of technical competence and tolerance for risk.  Each person has to decide how important following the system requirements is vs. going off on their own for themselves.

George Angeludis:
    I say all of those because I don't like people getting afraid of trying Media Composer if they don't have the right setup. And for that only.

Sure, but the OP in this case is about to shell out a considerable sum of money and time buying and configuring a computer.  If he asks, "Is an ATI card ok?" it would be irresponsible of us to say, "Yeah! Go ahead!" without explaining system requirements and Open GL implementation and all of that stuff so he can make an informed decision.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.0) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

No need to argue.

We all made our points.

I think the OP has a spherical idea of what is going on.

P.S. And that he will have our support about anything he will select.

Desktop

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 5:40 PM In reply to

George Angeludis:
    P.S. And that he will have our support about anything he will select.

I hope so, because if he has any trouble with his ATI card, I'm going to tell him to call you.  Smile

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller