Latest post Fri, Sep 29 2017 2:44 PM by Telegram!. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 15 2015 11:46 PM In reply to

• filmfriseur
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 8 2013
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 62
    • Points 555

Re: BUMP - Set default bin view...

Butcher:

ripvanmarlowe:
    I want Avid to open a bin with the custom bin view of my choosing, every time I open it. 

I'd like to see it taken a step further.  I want to link my custom bin views to my workspace settings, just like I can link my keyboard settings and timeline settings.  So everytime I go into my Edit workspace, my bins change to the Edit bin view.  When I go to my Logging workspace, the bins change for that.

Yes+2

amc 2018.4 - symphony . 3.46 dual 6core mac pro (early2009, upgraded to westmere 5.1, OSX 10.12.6). 64 gb . msi gtx 970 . 2x 27" monitor . 1x 24"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2015 2:15 PM In reply to

• Schnittskunk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 20 2011
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 8
    • Points 90

Butcher:

ripvanmarlowe:
    I want Avid to open a bin with the custom bin view of my choosing, every time I open it. 

I'd like to see it taken a step further.  I want to link my custom bin views to my workspace settings, just like I can link my keyboard settings and timeline settings.  So everytime I go into my Edit workspace, my bins change to the Edit bin view.  When I go to my Logging workspace, the bins change for that.

+3

MacPro 5,1 12Core, 48GB RAM, OS X 10.12.6, MC 2018.5 MojoDX / MacBook Pro Retina 2015 2.8, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.12.6, MC 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:12 PM In reply to

• Dan_B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,560

Hopping on this bandwagon too

• Thu, Aug 13 2015 6:37 PM In reply to

• Ben Hills
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 410

+4

ripvanmarlowe:
    How hard can it be? 
    ...this is Avid.

3 x HP z800 1 x HP z820 Avid MC 8.4 Windows 7 professional QT version 7.9.7 ----------------------------------- Edit Share Storage 64TB Thekus 12TB NAS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 28 2016 8:03 PM In reply to

• Editosaurus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 11 2012
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 54
    • Points 615

That sounds like a reply direct from Avid, illustrates their attitude perfectly.

2014 MacPro, 6 Core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5, 64Gb RAM. Dual AMD FirePro D700 Graphics. OSX 10.10.3 Avid MC 7.0.4.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 1 2016 1:07 AM In reply to

Some small bin improvements in the 8.5 release but still no default bin view!!!  What's the point of making custom columns easier to add if I then have to recall them all every time I open a new bin?  Avid, do you realise how tedious it is to change the saved bin view on dozens of bins for a conform or ingest?  Massive timewaster! Help us to be more efficient!

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 8.10.0 Symphony option... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 1 2016 2:12 AM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    Help us to be more efficient!
    Till you get what you want why not use Dylan's Templater to create new projects.

Set up a default project for the Templater with all your different bin layouts.
    Make and name a folder for each different bin layout you want
    Fill each folder with more empty bins with this layout than you think you will usually need.
    Use the Templater to create a new project.
    Instead of using New Bin drag an empty bin from the appropriate folder and give the bin a name.

(or just use New Bin and select appropriate saved bin layout as the Templater remembers all your saved layouts )

• Mon, Dec 12 2016 11:33 AM In reply to

So tired of this still being a problem.  I'm routinely opening and checking back dozens of bins, it's a massive PITA to have to constantly switch bin views.  Avid, just sort this out!

Andi

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2014) 2.5GHz Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048MB MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 MC 8.10.0 Symphony option... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 12 2016 4:06 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 717
    • Points 10,945

Apart from the lackluster feature set, I think the most disappointing aspect of using Media Composer is Avid's apparent inability to do anything with the UI. Do they simply not understand HOW to change ANY aspect of the UI? Are the programmers not good enough to fix these issues? I hope not! Or has management simply told them NOT to fix the broken, locked, and silly way the user interface works?  I'm trying to think of any software, written by students, hobbyists, or otherwise, that will hide important parts of the interface (bins) under other important parts when the software is opened. Does any other software exist in such an immature state? Perhaps. But I don't think I've seen one.

1. Fix the scaling issue. Every other piece of software on the market does this.  Literally everything else written by anyone, no matter how young or inexperienced the programmer. This should have been done years ago in a minor point release.

2. Give us the ability to set a workspace - for real - and then keep it that way the next time we use the software. Again, this is a very, very weird omission that seems non-existant in any other software.

3. Give us control of our keyboards and mice. You know, like macros, and 5th, 6th, 7th extra mouse button control. Tons of 3rd party software does this already, so the omission also seems almost stubborn.

4. Is it too much to make snapping, and other Adobe-like UI improvements too?  I know "looking pretty" is not top of the list, but I think that "workhorse" and "pretty" are not always enemies. You can have both. This is a place that has actually gone backwards in recent years.

But...."Resources!" We'd rather use our programmers to do cool things!!!  

Adobe has no problems adding features several times each year.  Their UI is night-and-day over MC.

And if you're not going to give us anything, please, at least tell us about the stuff you're hoping to do....someday. Maybe a list of open-ticket items being worked on?  You were never legally required to keep this stuff secret - especially now. Let us know. Talk to us.  You may find your market share would plummet a little less each quarter.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 5:46 PM In reply to

MAC 2018.8 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) | OSX 10.11.1 | Intel Core i7@4 GHz | 32GB RAM | AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB | AJA IO XT [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Dec 15 2016 6:00 PM In reply to

Thought I would never see it! Will be upgrading immediately! THANK YOU AVID!!

• Fri, Dec 23 2016 4:26 PM In reply to

Well, seems I spoke too soon.  The default bin view option only applies to newly created bins.  What this means is that if someone on another system without your specific bin view saved creates a bin and then you go to open it, it will just open with the old bin view active.  

It seems this is a local setting only unless I am mistaken Avid? And only applies to bins you just made?

This is basically almost as useless as not having it at all.  I work for post houses with dozens of ingest machines, I inherit bins from all over the place and I want to be able to open all of them with my custom view.  When I'm conforming a show I create maybe six or seven bins for sequences, backups, misc stuff.  But I open potentially 50-60 AMA bins all of which were most likely made by someone else on another machine in another building and all of which I need with MY custom view.  

So as far as I'm concerned this feature is still missing from MC and needs to be implemented sharpish!

Andi

• Wed, Aug 16 2017 9:03 AM In reply to

• apeshake
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 20 2013
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

+1

if not the ability to set an override bin view, then just the ability to assign a keyboard shortcut to a custom bin view would save hours of my time

• Tue, Sep 26 2017 10:16 AM In reply to

Besides bitchin about Avid developers not even trying to get the UI up to date and comparable to other NLEs, my 50c - I rekon the bin view should be attached to the workspace view, so that when you create a workspace it remembers the bin view settings you need for that kind of process - we all do that anyway, make workspaces for logging, editing, grading, sound editing and so on.

I rekon also that we should have the ability to select a bunch of bins and right click apply a bin view too, that way we can quickly get to see what meta we want on pretty much anything in the project - and change the workspace to apply the defaults if we need.

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 29 2017 2:44 PM In reply to

+1  Yes, a global Bin View on a keypress, with a revert option would be nice.

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller