Latest post Fri, Dec 13 2013 3:31 AM by Marianna. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:06 PM

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

Avid DVD And Compatibility With Blu ray Players

I just ran into some weirdness today.

I used Avid DVD 6.4.4 to author a simple, single still image menu with a single button that links to a single short film that loops back to the menu when done.  I then used Avid DVD to write everything to a Blu-ray "volume" on my hard drive.  I then used Avid DVD to burn the Blu-ray volume to a Blu-ray disc.

I tested the final BD disc in my PS3 and everything worked and played fine, so I used that same Blu-ray volume to create two more Blu-ray disc copies.

I gave one of the discs to a friend and he tried to play it on two different Blu-ray players, neither would play.  He also told me that he uses the same BD media brand that I do and his discs play fine on his players (he's *not* using Avid DVD.)

Since the BD disc played in my PS3 I at least know it plays... just not on his players.

That brand of BD media plays in both his players and mine.

The only thing I can think of different is that Avid DVD burns BD discs in some format that isn't 100% complinant with BD specs, so fewer BD players can play them?

And his authoring software burns BD discs in some format that's more standard across different players?

Is this a known limitation of Avid DVD?  Are the BDs it burns less compatible with BD players than other authoring software/burner packages?

I've downloaded ImgBurn to see if it will write that same BD volume to disc so I can then see if that disc will play on a wider selection of players, but I was just curious if this was a "known" thing.  Do people regularly use Avid DVD to burn BDs or just use it to author and create volumes/images that later get burned with other "better" software?  Or if it's possible I'm doing something wrong?  It just worries me that I burned a disc that had a 33% success rate.  I'd rather not waste BDs or hand out discs that aren't likely to play on many players.

Dell Precision Workstation T3500 Intel Xeon W3550 Quad Core Processor (3.0GHz, hyperthreading) 12 GB DDR3 NON-ECC SDRAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:22 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Re: Avid DVD And Compatibility With Blu ray Players

I have never run into this problem myself, but I have heard of it.  I don't do a lot of BluRay, but the ones I have done and given out have worked just fine and I have had no complaints of them not working.  I'm not certain, but I believe it has to do with a setting or settings that will help it insure compliance with a broader range of players.  If I am not mistaken, and I may be, Douglas is aware of this issue and may be able to help you some with it if/when he sees this post...  There may be others as well that can shed some more light on it...  In short I can tel you it is not something you did wrong if that helps you feel better at all. LOL... :-)

I'm curious to see what others have to say about this myself...

Good Luck!

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:22 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

Hi Dhoule:

The problem is that Avid DVD version 6.4.4 is no good. Revert back to version 6.1.1 and all your Blu-ray discs will play on everything.

Mark Job

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:33 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

Laptopeditor:
    The problem is that Avid DVD version 6.4.4 is no good.

What is it that is no good about 6.4.4 vs. 6.1.1?  I upgraded to 6.4.4 and have had no trouble with it.  I also know that some had complained about the disk compatibility with version 6.1.1 so it is nothing new.

Thanks for the input...

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:48 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port McNeill, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,580
    • Points 19,995

Camilo:
    What is it that is no good about 6.4.4 vs. 6.1.1?
    ...I found version 6.4.4 would sometimes crash to desktop on our system and it was producing Blu-ray's which would not play properly on table top players. As soon as we reverted back to 6.1.1 the problems went away. Your welcome.

MJ

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 4 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:01 PM In reply to

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

Good to know... so... what about using Avid DVD to author, then create a disc volume or image, and then use separate dedicated burning software like Nero, ImgBurn, etc to create the discs?  I'm just not a fan of reverting to older versions of anything if there's a way around it because I figure they might have broken parts of BD burning in 6.4.4 but there's probably beneficial fixes to other things that I'd like to keep.  I know it's one more piece of software in the workflow, but that don't bother me none :-)

Dell Precision Workstation T3500 Intel Xeon W3550 Quad Core Processor (3.0GHz, hyperthreading) 12 GB DDR3 NON-ECC SDRAM NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:15 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,327
    • Points 53,490

Creating a volume seems the most reliable, more so if it is not created on the system drive. A heavily fragmented drive has also caused some compiling problems in the past. 

DEFRAGGING AVID MEDIA DRIVES IS VERBOTTEN, however...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 5:38 PM In reply to

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

Okay, so, I downloaded ImgBurn and created a BD from the same volume I used to create the earlier, less compatible BD.  The new ImgBurn BD plays in my PS3 as well, and I intend to test it on other Blu ray players in the near future, but I have a feeling I found the problem.  I used ImgBurn to dump a report for both BD discs for comparison...

Avid DVD BD
    Plays on PS3 but not on other players
    ImgBurn BD
    Plays on PS3, not sure about other players
    PIONEER BD-RW BDR-206 1.05 (USB)
    Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
    State of Last Session: Complete
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 648,576
    Size: 1,328,283,648 bytes
    Time: 144:09:51 (MM:SS:FF)

File System Information:
    Sectors: 648,576
    Size: 1,328,283,648 bytes
    Time: 144:09:51 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
    Session 1... (LBA: 0)
    -> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 648575)
    -> LeadOut (LBA: 648576)

Track Information:
    Session 1...
    -> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 648576, LRA: 648575)

Disc Definition Structure:
    Certified: No
    Scanned: No
    Manufacturers Name: PIONEER
    Additional ID: BD-RW BDR-206
    Serial Number: JJDP024075WL

BD Disc Information:
    Disc ID: PHILIP-R04-000
    Disc Type: BD-R
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Disc Class: 0
    Disc Version: 1
    Number of Layers: 1
    Layer Type: Writable
    DVD Layer Present: No
    CD Layer Present: No
    Channel Bit Length: 74.50nm (25GB Per Layer)
    Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
    Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
    BCA Present: Yes
    Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
    First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072
    Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494
    PIONEER BD-RW BDR-206 1.05 (USB)
    Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
    State of Last Session: Incomplete
    Erasable: No
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 11,826,176
    Size: 24,220,008,448 bytes
    Time: 2628:04:26 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:
    Session 1... (LBA: 0)
    -> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 11826175)
    -> LeadOut (LBA: 11826176)

Track Information:
    Session 1...
    -> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 10016, LRA: 0)
    -> Track 02 (LTSA: 10016, LTS: 11815872, LRA: 0)
    -> Track 03 (LTSA: 11825888, LTS: 288, LRA: 0)

Disc Definition Structure:
    ISA0 Size: 4,096 clustors - Full: No
    OSA0 Size: 8,192 clustors - Full: No
    Certified: No
    Scanned: No
    Manufacturers Name: PIONEER
    Additional ID: BD-RW BDR-206
    Serial Number: JJDP024075WL

BD Disc Information:
    Disc ID: PHILIP-R04-000
    Disc Type: BD-R
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Disc Class: 0
    Disc Version: 1
    Number of Layers: 1
    Layer Type: Writable
    DVD Layer Present: No
    CD Layer Present: No
    Channel Bit Length: 74.50nm (25GB Per Layer)
    Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
    Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
    BCA Present: Yes
    Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
    First PAA of Data Zone: 131,072
    Last PAA of Data Zone: 1,658,494

The first and most obvious thing I see is that the old disc was not finalized/closed.  Apparently Avid DVD is trying to help you by leaving the disc open so you could write more files to it in the future if you wanted to.  Not sure, but I do know that's a problem on some dedicated players, they don't like discs with incomplete sessions, that *definitely* decreases compatibility.  I guess the PS3 is okay with it because it gets software updates from the internet regularly and set-top players usually just have the firmware you bought them with.

The second thing I noticed is that the new disc has file system info while the old disc doesn't.  I know for certain that ImgBurn created the disc using MODE1/2048 and a UDF 2.50 file system.  I have no idea what Avid DVD did.  Actually the old disc might not have file system info because it's not finalized, not sure.  I may be wrong about this but I'm guessing that could also be a problem on some players.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone.  If you know someone at Avid or Sonic maybe you could pass this along and get them to fix 6.4.4 so that it burns BDs correctly, or at least gives you the option to finalize a disc if you want to.

• Wed, Oct 30 2013 10:42 PM In reply to

• Mark H - MC 5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Is there any confirmation with this, that Avid Sonic DVD 6.1.1 wasn't actually closing (finalizing)?..As I seem to be having similar issues.  Earlier this month (October 2013) I was burning Blu Ray projects to Global Image, and they worked successfuly, and the client was happy with them also. This project was actually an Avid 16:9 project created with Avid DV format...it worked great.  Now, a more recent project, I imported the AVCHD directly into my Avid MC 5.0.3 into DNxHD as 16:9 1440 raster and it all exports fine from the Avid...I output Avid Sonic DVD 6.1.1 to Blu Ray as a Global Image (took 14 hours to render in Sonic)..once the Image was ready I burned Blu Ray disc. The Sony Blu Ray player that played the earlier successful Blu Ray discs wouldn't play this...it recognized that there was bluray disc in it, but after hitting the play button, it went to black a few sencds and went back to the blu ray player menu. When I look at the Blu Ray disc in Windows 7 the file structures and the video files created all seem fine, it just won't play in blu ray player. I've greatly appreciated Doug's input over the years and this forum.

Any suggestions of what I'm missing? I've been using Avid Media Composer for many years and am just now getting into authoring blu ray.  DVD authoring has been excellent since 6.1.1 came out couple years ago. Below is my system.

My System:  Avid Media Composer 5.0.4 Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1, NVidia 650i Ultra, NVidia 250 MG video card, 8 GIG RAM

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4 Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1,3 GHZ Intel Pentium D Duo Core, NVidia 650i Ultra , NVidia GeForce 8400 GS 250 MG video card... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:58 AM In reply to

• Mark H - MC 5
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

I put Avid MC 5.0.4 on instead of MC 5.0.3 and Avid DVD by Sonic 6.4.4 instead of Avid 6.1.1, and exported a short 1 and a half minute QT Ref clip from the project I have been working on into the Avid DVD by Sonic 6.4.4...created a similar menu with only the one clip...created a Global Image..burned a Blu Ray disc from that..and now it does play on the Sony Blu Ray player that the previous full project would not play on. The big test will be if the full project will work, The Avid DVD by Sonic does take many hours to transcode but it does do it.

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4 Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1,3 GHZ Intel Pentium D Duo Core, NVidia 650i Ultra , NVidia GeForce 8400 GS 250 MG video card... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 1 2013 11:38 AM In reply to

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

Not sure your particular problem had to do with Avid DVD not closing discs.  If you can burn a short version of the same project and it works, then I don't think it's a disc close issue.

That being said, I did switch workflow to get rid of my problems.  Actually it not only got rid of problems but it helped in many other ways as well.  Now I...

Edit in Avid (usually transcoding to DNxHD no matter what format it starts in)

Export QT Reference

Drop that into Avid DVD, complete all the menus

Instead of letting Avid DVD burn the disc directly or letting it create an ISO image I create a volume.  I create one volume for DVD and one for Blu-Ray

I use ImgBurn (freeware) to burn volumes to disc.  A volume is just a bunch of folders and files so it's up to the burning software to get the rest of the burn correct.  ImgBurn does a fantastic job.

Not only is the disc closing issue corrected, but I don't have problems with incompatible ISO images (which Avid DVD sometimes creates)  and I don't have to wait for Avid DVD to transcode each time I want to burn another copy.  This workflow has been working flawlessly for me.

As for importing DVD and Blu-ray compatible formats into Avid DVD it is possible, but it's a pain in the butt.  One param off and Avid DVD will re-transcode again when you burn / image / volume.  Even the params I posted earlier in this thread don't work *every* time.  Biggest problem I think is the variable bitrate, which causes the video params to go out of bounds occasionaly and Avid DVD decides to re-transcode.  I found that's why it will get halfway through an output and then suddenly start to transcode again.  I could keep messing with params but I find it's easy enough to just import QT Ref files.

• Sat, Nov 2 2013 6:45 PM In reply to

• Mark H - MC 5
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Thank you Darren for all assistance and insights...turned out I had an issue how I set up the menus. The Menu button on upper left screen of Avid DVD by Sonic 6.4.4 needed to be "First Play", finding this discrepency helped me find through some other forum entries on an error that says "Fix orphaned menus and unlinked objects"..and Menu (First PLay) was one listed in the error.  I had forgotten that I chose the button "Go ahead and Burn Volume and risk not playing on all players".

Img Burn was useful at discovering the disc information of the previous Blu Ray discs. For a free program it is very intuitive and helpful.

I used Img Burn to burn the new Volume and now Blu Ray disc with the updated menu structure played in the Sony BluRay player mentioned in the previous post. Img Burn seems to burn it much quicker too.  This Blu Ray disc is over 3 and a half hours long and the transcoding process took at least 15 hours (look forward in the future to getting a newer computer like a Core i7 and newer version of Avid Media Composer).

Thanks again to everyone on this forum

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 7:04 AM In reply to

• timob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 25 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Hello,

i am having trouble burning a working Blu-ray with Avid DVD 6.4.4

It seems whatever burning option i select, it leaves the Disc Session Open - and thus unreadable

by my PS3 and standalone player. I have unchecked the "OpenDVD" -option, so it should not be the issue.

The transcoding and burning process completes without any errors, and i have tried all of the burning options e.g Burn Disc / Volume / Global Image.

Am i blind, or is there no way to force-finalize the disc in Avid DVD?

Thanks very much for any tips!

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 1:18 PM In reply to

• Darren Houle
    • Not Ranked
    • Central Florida
    • Posts 32
    • Points 470

I never found a way to finalize.  Settings like those appear to be hard-coded into the software, you can't change them at the user level.  Also, there are other issues with the burner that's built-in to Avid DVD, so... to have more control over settings and get rid of those other issues I don't burn from Avid DVD.  Instead I tell Avid DVD to create a volume and then use ImgBurn to burn the volume to disc.  Works flawlessly.  More settings than you could ever want, fast, free, and Avid DVD doesn't have to re-transcode source material just to burn a second disc.

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

• Mark H - MC 5
    • Not Ranked
    • Minnesota
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Hello,

As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I found that it was involved with the order of how I started my project in Avid Sonic 6.4.4  At first I was putting the video media into the project before adding a template that has all the icon button links...but through a forum search I found someone say that you had to create the project with the template first (which causes the template to have a "first play attribute")...I tried that, and it's been working for me ever since, the Blu Rays playing on different BluRay players.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller