Latest post Mon, Feb 17 2014 5:42 PM by MikaS. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:05 AM

• FSD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,250

Title Tool - Import Graphics

Since i am often running into trouble copy & pasting Logos or Graphics from photoshop

into the Avid Title Tool, i would be happy

to see an import function from within the Title Tool for Logos & Graphics...

Mac Pro 2x2,26 QuadCore, OSX 10.9.1, MC 7.0.3, AMD Sapphire Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, 20GB RAM, QT X, QT 7.6.6, Squeeze 8.5, Blackmagic Intensity Pro,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:09 AM In reply to

Re: Title Tool - Import Graphics

Marquee? Title tool is for very simple quick stuff and adding additional functions would clutter that.

MArquee is much more powerful and suited for more complex tasks.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional 10.6

Avid MC V7 Background Transcode Demo  Avid MC V7 DMF Demo

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:26 PM In reply to

FSD:

am often running into trouble copy & pasting Logos or Graphics from photoshop

into the Avid Title Tool

Since you have MC6 have you considered using Avid FX for importing graphics and text functions?

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:54 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Marquee? Title tool is for very simple quick stuff and adding additional functions would clutter that.

MArquee is much more powerful and suited for more complex tasks.

AndrewAction:
    Since you have MC6 have you considered using Avid FX for importing graphics and text functions?

I can't resist throwing in my two-cents...   If you haven't used Marquee or Avid FX yet, I would definitely opt for Avid FX.   I learned Marquee first.  But since learning Avid FX, I never use Marquee anymore.   Now, it's either the Title Tool for basic titles or Avid FX for everything else. 

In case you are not aware, Avid FX is the same program as Boris Red.   There a lot's of good sources for learning Boris Red.  I learned it in about a week using Steve Oakley's Class-on-Demand training DVD, but there are free tutorials on YouTube as well.

System 1: MC 7.0.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro 4000, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:08 AM In reply to

You know what?

This is why some things never get fixed or added.

The friend made a very logical and very simple request.

To be able to import graphics at Title Tool.

I use Marquee and not Avid FX which is toooooo slow to do something fast.

Even Marquee is a lot faster.

But in contrary we tell him what other workaround he can use.

This is not the way to have mpeg imports background rendering etc.

We need to import graphics to Title Tool!

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(310.90)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Symphony 7.0.3/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

IMDbLinkedInTwitterYouTubeFB

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:44 AM In reply to

• FSD
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 265
    • Points 3,250

George Angeludis:

Thanks for the Backup, George Smile

I´m often doing my animated titles with Avid Marquee, i even read the 21 chapters of the tutorial book once.Cool

and i can say i don´t like fumbling around in that Marquee application very much. 

What i simply want to do is copy/paste a logo into an existing rolling/ crawling title without running into trouble. 

Instead of Marquee, i´m using Apples Motion a lot to create titles with pasted Logos.

I just say it would be very nice if that will work someday before my retirement in 27 yearsWink

regards

Mac Pro 2x2,26 QuadCore, OSX 10.9.1, MC 7.0.3, AMD Sapphire Radeon 7950 Mac Edition, 20GB RAM, QT X, QT 7.6.6, Squeeze 8.5, Blackmagic Intensity Pro,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 27 2012 7:35 PM In reply to

George Angeludis:
    Sorry George the advice was given (at least by me) on the basis that many have asked for improvements to the Title Tool for 15 + years and have been resigned to believing it will not happen for the most part of that time. Instead Avid provided Marquee free (Was a $7K+ stand alone program) rather than improve the Title Tool to and now they have added Avid FX as well. The Tools are available, at no cost, to do the job so I disagree with the quoted statement and in the case of the Title Tool "This is why some things never get fixed or added" is way off the mark

If you really want to use Title Tool you could always import the graphic into Avid edit onto the timeline, use 3D warp to manipulate it and create the text part of your requirement in TT and edit onto the layer above the 3D warp effect.

Or from memory I seem to remember you could use Copy and Paste to get your graphics into Title Tool rather than Import.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:08 PM In reply to

Andrew,

I am not targeting to you or to anyone else!!!

I like all of you around here.

And Avid the same!

It's just the process of things.

We must have what it seems easy to have.

I know the workarounds but why we should use workarounds for plain things?

Avi can't be exported right, mpeg's can't be imported, TT can't import graphics.

Aren't those everyday use things that help our life?

Desktop
    Zalman 600W/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.5/Corsair 16G DDR3/PNY Quadro 2000D(310.90)/WD VelociRaptor 300@10K(OS)/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W7 Pro 64bit/Symphony 7.0.3/Matrox MXO2 Mini/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:42 PM In reply to

George Angeludis:
    We must have what it seems easy to have.
    George It may seem easy, but for whatever reason over the decades Avid have chosen to offer other solutions rather than improve the Title Tool so I cannot see that changing. (especially as it did not with the change to 64bit)

My point is that I would personally prefer to beat my head against a wall. or get bent out of shape over things I might have a chance of changing.

FWIW I consider Marquee, Avid FX, copy and paste etc to be efficient solutions rather than workarounds

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:28 PM In reply to

Avid should continue the We are listening policy which brought new users at the company.

This is exactly what I say.

I can't see any reason not adding very much needed options.

Those things are essential and can be found in other NLE's.

We should and we can change those things.

I, myself pushed alone back at Liquid times and they added the audio timewarp.

The Liquid creators were really listening.

Desktop

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:57 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,460
    • Points 80,890
    • Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

George,

George Angeludis:
    I can't see any reason not adding very much needed options

As Andrew said those options now exist more than ever, as AvidFX is free with MC 6.
    I know that you are human, and as a human you complain bitterly about things that you don't like. Geeked But eventually, after you discover another way of doing things, your bitterness disappears and you praise the new things and wonder why you ever were bitter.
    I remember your, "MC is totally worthless and will never replace Liquid" kind of statements a few years ago...... what are you saying about MC today? Yes

You say that AvidFX is too difficult to learn.
    I don't agree with you.
    Yes, you need to take some time to study how to use it, but after you get started you will realise how simple and powerful it is.

AvidFX contains a very powerful Text editor (which is really Boris Grafitti). But you need to take some time to study it.

What is best for the development of MC?  Avid diverts technicians to develop a tool for you to add graphics in a simpler way and the other developments slow down. Or, George takes a little time to study AvidFX and Avid can use a full team of technicians making improvements in other areas?

I like the old quote:

"Everybody wants to get to heaven, but nobody wants to die"

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:AMC MojoDX 7.0.3 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 275.89driver - Quicktime 7.7.4 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU - Asus P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Click to go to    FREE VIDEO TUTORIALS    that mere mortals can understand

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 9:58 PM In reply to

My approach to this problem would be to take the image which is already open in Photoshop and go to File>Save As... and choose .png

Next, I import the .png file into Avid and done.  I could even just Import the .psd directly into Avid as a Sequence of Layers.  

Seems silly to me to copy/Paste from Photoshop into Title Tool or any other apps.

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:12 PM In reply to

drbgaijin:
    What is best for the development of MC?  Avid diverts technicians to develop a tool for you to add graphics in a simpler way and the other developments slow down.

Excellent point, Douglas, and this is why I'd rather Avid work on other things.  At the CES show there were demos of control systems that can be operated by tracking the eyes of the user, and other systems that can "see" the user and can be controlled by the user's hand gestures.

Now I don't know if either of those ideas are any good for a NLE UI, but my hope is if there's a smart way to run a NLE by eye control, Avid is working on it right now and will be the first NLE to offer this capability.  And if eye control turns out to be a stupid idea, I hope they're working on something else cool and innovative, and will be the first to bring it to market.

What I hope they're not working on is another method of bringing a graphic into a rolling title, because there are already a ton of ways to do this using existing tools that come with Media Composer.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 7.0.3 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Ι didn't say that Avid Fx is difficult.

I said it's slow.

Even more than Marquee.

Things must go on and be better.

Not being the same forever and ever.

I personally don't use TT anymore.

Marquee it's good to me and fast but has some major issues too.

For example you can't save a logo within the marquee file so each time you need to re import it

to a composition. Because there is no think like relink to a missing graphic.

The only thing to do for that is to have the logo at Marquee folder and to not change the name

of the file. Silly things that could be easily fixed. As with TTool.

I can't understand why they can't be fixed honestly.

Why can't we use open DML for .avi etc?

But I can see many work hours being lost so to be able to pet a dozen of older versions of the

same program.

MC 3, MC 4, MC 5 , MC 6 and not to mention DS or Symphony.

There can't be no progress like that and things will go always in slow motion.

Desktop

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 11:06 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,460
    • Points 80,890
    • Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

George Angeludis:

Ι didn't say that Avid Fx is difficult.
    I said it's slow.

Sorry George, I was reading too fast and missed that point - before my Saturday morning coffee.
    Isn't slow to do with the speed and power of your computer?

I think that Carl also pointed out something that I missed.
    Why should Avid spend time trying to develop yet another way of doing something which already is possible through various other methods?

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:AMC MojoDX 7.0.3 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 275.89driver - Quicktime 7.7.4 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU - Asus P6X58D... [view my complete system specs]

Click to go to    FREE VIDEO TUTORIALS    that mere mortals can understand

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller