Latest post Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:16 PM by danny. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:08 PM

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 24 2010
    • Posts 27
    • Points 340

field order fixing

Another thing I miss from FCP7 coming back to MC is the "change field order" filter. ON FCP7 you just drop an effect on the clip and the filed order is reversed. Simples.

Related, but slightly different problem is when the field order is correct but the fileds are out of kilter with the frames. Again, from my time with FCP7 there is a purchase-able plug-in that can fix that too.

Is there anything on MC5/6 that can easily fix either or both of these all too common problems?

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:44 PM In reply to

Re: field order fixing

Drop a timewarp effect on the clip, open the motion effects editor, choose "blended interpolated" for type, "interlace" for input and "progressive" for output.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:19 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 340

Larry thanks for replying, but my request is not to turn it into progressive and lose the fields; it's to retain the interlacing but shift the field order. I once saw a demonstration on Avid by someone who used masks to blank out every upper field and then every lower field and then edit them back into the timeline in a different order - took forever! On FCP7 you get to take it for granted that you drop a filter on it and it's fixed.

The second problem is when the fields are in the correct order - it's just that they don't coincide with the frames! It's a different problem to "wrong field order" - believe me, I've tried to fix it. The only thing that fixed it was Joe's filters plug-in for FCP. You could specify which frame had what fileds and in what order. Again, simple but not available for Avid as far as I know. Please Avid can you add these in a future release.

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:44 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 2,249
    • Points 27,375

Not that this will help you, but in Avid DS, field invert is a standard effect.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 | MC 7.02 OS 10.7.5 / OS Lion - Mac Dual 2.8 8core GTX285 "Harpertown" QT 10.0.0 10 GB ram 2xSATA software raid local storage... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor | Henninger Media Services | Arlington, VA

See what is New  http://vimeo.com/album/1563194

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:45 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,083
    • Points 93,355

+1.

In the early days of TV in this country field dominance was reversed to what it is now.  Working with archival media can thus become a nightmare.  Deinterlacing isn't a fix, since that will often get your finished project rejected.  We need two field order fixes, with two sub varients.

The first is the in-frame fix, where odd lines are shifted one way and even lines the other.  The two sub-variants would be the direction in which the shift occurs.

The other fix is field offsetting.  In sub-variant 1, field 1 is duplicated in frame 1, field 2 becomes the new field 1 in frame 2, frame 2 field 1 becomes frame 2 field 2, and so on.  The last field is dropped.  In sub-variant 2, field 1 of frame 1 is dropped and the field shift happens in the reverse direction, with field 2 of the last frame being duplicated to maintain duration.

Field offsetting would require the ability to correct for audio sync issues.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 1:06 PM In reply to

+ another one. That FCP filter is v useful.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.8.5 with Symphony 6.0.5 and Matrox MX02 Mini. MacBook Pro with OS 10.8.5 with MC 7.0.2. MacBook Pro with OS 10.6.8 with... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Media School, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sat, Sep 8 2012 8:23 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 985
    • Points 13,035

+1 to the addition of this fix in Avid.

I am a member of The AMA...which stands for the Artist Mix Alliance..I am the only member [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:57 PM In reply to

The SpeedRamp plugin from 3Prong lets you do many things, including swapping fields. I bought it many years ago, before Avid had the advanced Motion Effects it has today, but I haven't had it installed for some time now, so I'm not sure if it is still working with current versions. But there's a free trial versions.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 9 2012 2:19 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,083
    • Points 93,355

From the 3Prong website: "SpeedRamP requires Media/Film Composer 10.1, Symphony 3.1, Avid Xpress 4.1, Avid Xpress DV 2.0, or later."

It sounds like no development has happened recently, Job.  It may not be available as a 64-bit application.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

Here's a tutorial with some custom effect filters that will help you with field inverting

http://avidscreencast.com/2009/11/04-changing-field-order/

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:25 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 340

Exactly!!! I read this years ago. That's why I wrote to the feature request forum. It shouldn't have to be like this!

A common cause of problems I have found is when ripping dvd's (legaly) using DVDxDV Pro which results in a great quality QT file, but often the fields out of kilter. Joe's Field Fixer (for FCP7) can sort it out - instantly.

I would urge AVID editors to check out Joe's Filters plugin:

http://www.joesfilters.com/joes_field_fixer

If Avid isn't going to add this feature to MC - and I see no evidence over the years - maybe Joe's Filters would be interested in adapting their FCP plugin. There seems to be a growing market out there (with FCP 7ers switching (back) to Avid, and feeling, "where did all those useful fx tools go?

• Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:57 PM In reply to

Use AMA to link to the file and you can change the field order on the fly. Importing is legacy now move with the times.

Much better to have the ability to change the field order as part of the linking processing than bog down with effects in the timeline.

And the problem with the FCP filter idea was people could add them by mistake or remove them by mistake. The most significant content that has field order issues (and normally as part of a mixture of content some rigth and soem wrong) comes from legacy FCP.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:16 PM In reply to

• danny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 27
    • Points 340

I'm not talking about field order as you speak ie: upper vs lower. I'm talking about when you get the fields out of kilter with the frames - field 1, say, from one frame combined with field 2 from the previous frame. This is a completely different issue.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller