Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:51 PM by Marianna. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:28 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Re: Avid FX Crash - "Can't open System File" - now in MC6!

I haven't checked those drivers - I vaguely remember you mentioning that the installer said it needed to install stuff like that during the installation process - I had one thing 'extra' installed - something to do with Windows I think - and no error messages about drivers not being correct. Ah ... yes, before I installed MC I did a Windows update check - since that machine isn't normally connected to the Internet. There were something like 20-30 updates to be done, which had to be done in stages, rebooting weach time.  I think the nVidia drivers were one of those updates.

Currently working through the very very first of the tutorials sup-plied in the Help files - a simple job of manipulating two still images, one on each of the V1 and V2 tracks:  the 'Intercator' display as it is called, is not the circles at all, but the same 'arrows' display as were in the previous version (yes, I checked, I have Avid FX 6.0.0.901 here!), so maybe those circular interactors are relevant to specific effect filters.  I shall continue to work slowly through the Help Tutorials because ... well, can't be a bad place to start! And as I go through, all the icon stuff is being explained so, I'm on the way ...  Hooray for RTFM!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:30 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Forgot to mention - Tomas - I don't have that option in my Windows or Workspaces menu. May be a Mac thing?

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:35 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,650

BTW What is RTFM?

BTW here, is 'By The Way' or in Dutch also 'Belasting Toegevoegde Waarde'. Something or equal to VAT.

And indeed, that Tomas Workspace option, is also not in my MC6 (W7).

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:39 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,315

Mike Shaw:

Forgot to mention - Tomas - I don't have that option in my Windows or Workspaces menu. May be a Mac thing?

You do have that Mike, also on the PC side, and I think that it restores that ini / settings file

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    is that Preferences file the same as the 'ini' file in the previous Avid FX version, or, more to the point - is it OK to delete it?  (Actually, I won't do that, I'll rename it something awful, so it can be restored if need be).

Yes it's the same as the ini file in previous versions. It's OK to delete it, but enaming it or moving it is a good idea for a couple of reasons ; if it doesn't relieve the original symptom at all it can be restored along with any customizations (prefs that have been changed from the defaults), and if it does relieve the symptom it (the prefs file) can be sent to BorisFX so they can try to reproduce and figure out what's going on

Mike Shaw:
     Oh - by 'our' tech support - do you mean Boris support? I believe you are a Boris person? 

Yes.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:59 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Thanks Dirk. Your help in this is really appreciated.  Renaming it seems to have (so far, touch wood) cleared the problem.  I'm currently working through the Help File's tutorials ... should have done this ages ago!   So, I have the renamed file if you'd like it sent somewhere ...

Tomas - OK. But it isn't in the (my) Windows/Workspaces menu (or Sef's, apparently!).  But it does sound like an extremely useful option! I'll have another look for it later on.

Sef  - RTFM - putting it in polite language, "Read The Flipping Manual".  It was a well established phrase even as far back as the late 40s when I was in the Air Force  ... "When all else fails, RTFM".  Only they weren't so polite about the 'F' word!

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,482
    • Points 208,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike and Sef,

I am sure you have the "Snap all Home" hiding in the AvidFX, Window/ Workspace/ drop down menu.

The keyboard shortcut is CTRL + ;   ( Control plus colon)

I cannot see how it would help Mike with his problem though.

It only resets the user interface layout to the default.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:20 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,730

Ooops!  It's a slap-head situation!  I incorrectly looked in the Workspace menu of MC ... not Avid FX! (Hadn't realised there were workaspaces in Avid FX as well!)  Sorry Tomas!

Douglas has just Skyped me and shown me how that works.  Could be very useful when I get the windows all messed up - as I do when exploring ... 

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,482
    • Points 208,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike Shaw:
    Douglas has just Skyped me and shown me how that works.  Could be very useful when I get the windows all messed up - as I do when exploring ... 

That should be quite soon, Mike Geeked

Actually, when I was chatting with Mike, I soon realised that he was slowing down and is now working his way through the tutorials supplied in the documentation with Avid FX. That is the way to go, Mike Yes .

I am now putting the finishing touches to my first Avid FX 6 Video Tutorial Packet. (actually, I am in the process of adding Closed Captions to them now).
    There will be over 1hour 45 minutes of tutorials on the basic stuff. If anyone is curious about them, you can see the first chapter HERE.

The keywords are, "Teaching people to fish" and not, "Giving people fish" Geeked

Regards,

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller