Latest post Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:37 AM by Glyph. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 14 2011 7:54 AM

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 12 2011
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Error Message on Startup

This is an error message I have been getting fairly often on startup:

Exception: AMPI subsystem error, ErrorMessage: DSM future error from client eDSMError_exception:assertion in "DSM_Transport.cpp", line 118 (err=60),

D5MMnager::InitializeDSM in DSMManager.cpp: 342,

AMPIMainComponent Rep::Initialize InitializeDSM Failed in AMPIMain.cpp: 81

AMPIMainComponent::Initialize mRep->Initialize in AMPIMain.cpp: 159,

AMPIMainComponent::Initialize in AMPIMain.cpp: 163

It usually comes up while it says it is initializing Audio Plugins.  Usually I can restart MC and it will eventually open after a few attempts. This has been a consistent problem for the last few days though and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent it.

Macbook Pro 2.3ghz i5, 4 GB ram, OSX Lion 10.7.3 MC 6.0.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:31 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Re: Error Message on Startup

I've been getting another error also quite often while working which is crashing Avid.

Exception: std::exception, what:"Segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

I haven't found a common theme for when that one comes up, but really it shouldn't be this unstable, just today it has crashed at least a dozen times.

Macbook Pro 2.3ghz i5, 4 GB ram, OSX Lion 10.7.3 MC 6.0.1 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Dec 14 2011 10:34 AM In reply to

Hi,

I'm not a Mac person, but I know these errors come up often enough that if you search google for "avid forum ampi error" or "avid forum segmentation fault" you'll get a lot of results.  Hopefully one of them will point you in the right direction while you're waiting for a response from some other Mac users.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 14 2011 4:17 PM In reply to

It shouldn't be that unstable...

Do you have any outside audio plugins?  Did you do a clean install when you upgraded to Lion?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 15 2011 6:35 AM In reply to

• chellecca
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, California
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Upon launching MC v6 trail I'm getting the following message:  Alert  "Segmentation fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0

Only option is to click on ok which drops me back to the desktop.  I have restarted and trashed the MC State and Site Attributes but still unable to launch the trial.

Any help on this would be great!

MacBook Pro

Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory:  4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2

Tracy D. Smith

Online Editor, Colorist,

ACI

• Thu, Dec 15 2011 8:58 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Hey, 

Yep it was a clean install of MC6 onto Lion.  I don't use any plugins for Avid, but I use some instrument samples for Pro Tools, that really shouldn't be a problem though.  Its funny because I haven't really had these problems till just recently.

As for the other threads, thanks for the tip I'll look for those and see if anything shows up.

Chellecca, thats the exact same problem I'm having, hopefully we can find a solution in here somewhere.

• Thu, Dec 15 2011 4:21 PM In reply to

Can you remove the plugins or put them on your desktop and see if that is the problem?

Is this an MC/PT co-install?  Did you install the programs in the correct order?  And do you have the version of PT that is supported with MC v6.0?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 16 2011 7:48 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

I did a clean install of PT 10 soon after it was realeased and then did another clean install of MC6 when it was released about a month later.  Just checked for version updates on PT and I have the latest one so that shouldn't be an issue.  

On a side note, the SegmentFault error happens quite often while applying affects.  Usually, I'll hit apply (from AvidFX) and then it will freeze up and give me the error.

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

I can verify again that the SegmentFault happens whenever I apply an effect, and its not anything huge.  Usually I am just adding some titles from AvidFX.  I have looked for other threads but have not found any that are similar to what I am experiencing.

• Mon, Dec 19 2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Oh another bit of info, I've been getting a lot of Audio Underrun errors I believe its because at the moment I'm working off a USB 2.0 drive, would that have an effect on anything else I've been mentioning though?

UPDATE

Apparently this problem has been solved for MC6 on windows (http://community.avid.com/forums/p/102722/592302.aspx#592302) I have looked at the KB document and followed the steps for OSX, reinstalled the drivers and ran a permissions repair on my drive (not from the installation disk because none was provided for Lion) but the problem persists.  

• Thu, Dec 22 2011 8:47 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Hey guys I really need some input here, these problems have been consistent from the first time I posted and have been preventing me from getting any work done at all.

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 9:23 PM In reply to

HOW CAN I FIX THIS...........................................

This is an error message I have been getting fairly often on startup:

Exception: AMPI subsystem error, ErrorMessage: DSM future error from client eDSMError_exception:assertion in "DSM_Transport.cpp", line 118 (err=60),

D5MMnager::InitializeDSM in DSMManager.cpp: 342,

AMPIMainComponent Rep::Initialize InitializeDSM Failed in AMPIMain.cpp: 81

AMPIMainComponent::Initialize mRep->Initialize in AMPIMain.cpp: 159,

AMPIMainComponent::Initialize in AMPIMain.cpp: 163

It usually comes up while it says it is initializing Audio Plugins.  Usually I can restart MC and it will eventually open after a few attempts. This has been a consistent problem for the last few days though and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent it.

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 9:25 PM In reply to

Have you installed v6.0.1?

-- Kevin

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:37 AM In reply to

• Glyph
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Ok here is what I did, I eventually got things to work but I had to get a firewire external hard drive and run my media off that.  I was running off of a usb 2.0 drive and usb just doesn't cut it.  Its a pain because you have to sink money into it but thats how it worked for me.  I can't guarantee you're particular problem will be fixed by doing that but I hope the idea helps.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller