Latest post Fri, Jan 13 2012 4:04 PM by icemanxts. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 7 2011 4:24 PM

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2007
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

Media Composer 6 with AJA IO Express

We are trying to upgrade our whole office to the following: MacPro 12 Core, 8GB RAM, Media Comoposer 6, AJA IO Express. We purchased one unit for testing.

We'd like to go out HDMI to a 3rd monitor and SDI to our Control Room where we present to distant clients on Fiber. We currently do this in SD with outdated equipment. With the new equipment, I cannot make a 1080p 23.98 project and perform the task above.

Here's what I've gotten to work and not work with our HDMI Monitor. (We're also having issues with the SDI monitor too. I imagine it's the same problem). We are receiving and sending out 1080p23.98 footage so we need to work in this format as well.

USING THE AJA TV APPLICATION:

PRO_RES_HD.mov

- Makes the Control Panel default to 1080sf23.98 and does not work.
    - When I go to "Display" and choose 1080i29.97 or 1080p23.98 (8 or 10 bit) it works.

UNCOMPRESSED_HD

- Makes the Control Panel default to 1080sf23.98 and does not work.
    - When I go to "Display" and choose 1080i29.97 or 1080p23.98 (8 bit only) it works.

USING MEDIA COMPOSER 6:

In a 1080p23.98 Project the Control Panel reverts to 1080sd23.98 and both HD videos will not work. In the Control Panel the format is grayed out so I cannot change it.

In a 720p23.98 Project the Control Panel reverts to 720p59.94 and the videos work.

In a 1080i59.94 Project the Control Panel reverts to 1080i29.97 and the videos work.

I have spoken with AJA and they said, "Media Composer 6 sets it up as 1080sf23.98 (this is progressive segmented frame).  This is Avid controlling the Io Express."

I noticed in a forum from this past spring that "Avid only outputs PsF when in Progressive projects. The 5.5 release has a console command to make it P to play nicer with monitors when using HDMI." - Is this true? Anyone know this or any other solution in MC6?

Thanks for any help.

MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz | 8GB RAM | Mac OS 10.7.5 | Media Composer 7.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 2:53 AM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,840

Re: Media Composer 6 with AJA IO Express

I may not be much help on this but we did something similar to this a few years back. It ended up being a problem with AJA and we had to run a 23.98 reference from our CER room to the AJA. I know this may not a lot of insight, but since no one has responded I thought I would give you what little information I could.

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 3:00 PM In reply to

I'm not sure of a console command for v5.5, but I believe one of the features of v6.0 is offering "True 24fps" and PsF as choices when outputting via HDMI.

Media Composer v7.0.4 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

Thanks for the responses E-GoRe and Kevin.

Kevin, are you familiar with how to choose between the two? I've looked around, and see nothing on how do this. I have specifically set the project to 1080p23.98 and when I go to Video Output it takes me to the AJA Control Panel. In there, under Format, it is set to 1080sf23.98 which is greyed out and I cannot change.

All help is greatly appreciated. We're looking to upgrade very soon, purchasing thousands of dollars in equipment and would like to make sure we get this right.

Thanks.

MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz | 8GB RAM | Mac OS 10.7.5 | Media Composer 7.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 4:07 PM In reply to

Hmmm...then that might just be with DX hardware.  I am seeing it in my Video Output tool, and I have a Nitris DX.

I suppose it's now up to the card manufacturers now to support all of the various formats and frame rates.  I would check with AJA and see what they say.

Media Composer v7.0.4 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 4:12 PM In reply to

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

I have, and they said, "Media Composer 6 sets it up as 1080sf23.98 (this is progressive segmented frame).  This is Avid controlling the Io Express.  There is nothing we can do here."

Very strange considering all the material the studios send us are 23.98 Progressive HD. I find it weird that it's not supported (although all the documentation I read says it is).

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 4:16 PM In reply to

So they are saying they don't support 1080p/23.976 PsF?

It's greyed out because that format isn't "enabled" for that card.  I had trouble creating a 1080p/29.97 project on a system with a Kona3 attached.  1080p/23.976 worked fine, so I assumed that 1080p/29.97 wasn't supported.

-- Kevin

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 4:36 PM In reply to

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

No, they say it does. But my footage is 1080p23.98 and since the box is trying to play it as PsF it won't work. They claim MC6 is telling it to output PsF even though it's not.

The Format only seems to be greyed out when another application (MC in this case) is controlling the Control Panel. With MC shut down I can open the quicktime up out of the AJA TV App I can make adjustments in the Control Panel.

• Tue, Dec 13 2011 4:35 PM In reply to

• Ace Editor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 4 2008
    • Jupiter Productions
    • Posts 53
    • Points 600

Have you looked at the Matrox MXO2 LE?  We are planning to buy that because we will be able to use it with our new MacBook Pro in the field and Mac Pro in the studio.  There is also a Thunderbolt adapter for it.  There are more outputs than the AJA i/o.

Look at this PDF.

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/products/mxo2_le/en_mxo2_le_vs_io_express.pdf

Same price.

MacBook Pro, 2.33 Ghz, Core 2 Duo and Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Intel Xeon with MAX by Matrox, Media Composer 7.0.2. Use shared fibre channel storage (40TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 19 2011 4:24 PM In reply to

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

We did look at it, and I read better reviews on the AJA IO Express. But with the issue we're having, we may have to go that route if AJA's tech support cannot solve our problem within the next few weeks. (Our office upgrade is scheduled for mid-january.)

Thanks for the pdf though. We'll look this over again as we reconsider.

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:04 AM In reply to

• rdalva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Good news. I just got off the phone with AJA support. The acknowledge it is their problem, not Media Composer. They are sending me a temporary fix while they work on a more permanent one. The guy on the phone said it involved working (temporaily) at 720p (just the monitor, not the project). When I see if it works, I will post it.

What I get is a stippled image on my 3rd monitor and it is at a lower resolution. The Format area of the AJA Control Panel is grayed out and impossible to change.

I used io Express with MC 5.5 and it worked flawlessly (after Avid fixed the "legend underrun" problem).

I notice the spell checker is not running so forgive any spelling errors. Dislexia strikes again.

Robert

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 4:04 PM In reply to

• icemanxts
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 55
    • Points 810

Hi Rob,

Sad to say, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with the issue. I tried the fix you mentioned as yes, it does work. Both your CPU monitors and 3rd reference monitor will play in 720, but the project can revert back to 1080 as long as it was originally made  in 1080.

We did try it in MC5.5 at first, and I thought we had the same issue. It was only briefly until we upgraded to MC6, so I could be wrong about that.

AJA confirmed the issue with me too, and said a Driver Update should be available soon. I'm glad more than one person has contacted them about this, so they realize it is a big problem that needs a solution quickly.

Thanks for your response.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller