Latest post Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:59 AM by Le Maitre. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 2 2011 7:15 PM

• Paul Muzzin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 23 2011
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 17
    • Points 175

Need Help With Assertion failed: kCGErrorSuccess

Hi everyone. I am a new user to Avid, migrating from FCP and have been receiving two error messages and can't find any information about them from the Knowledge Base.

The first error pops up when AMA linking to P2 Content on an external LaCie Firewire800 drive. It doesn't happen all the time.

The 2nd and more prevalent error message showing up happens after transcoding my AMA linked P2 files to DNXHD 115.

My system Specs:

Mac OSX LION

2x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

8GB 1066 MHZ DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 memory

Thanks for all of your help

- Paul

2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB | Mac OS X Sierra | Media Composer 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:29 PM In reply to

Re: Need Help With Assertion failed: kCGErrorSuccess

Unfortunately, those errors are generic and hard to make sense of.

Is this happening consistently with particular media, or is it hit and miss?  Once transcoded, does it work without issue?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 2 2011 10:58 PM In reply to

• Paul Muzzin
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 17
    • Points 175

Kevin,

Thanks for responding. The first error happened again while linking via AMA and crashed Media Composer 6. Unfortunately it didn't load the new transcoded media files into the bin and I now have the pleasure of tyring to find them in the Avid MediaFiles folder. You don't happen to know how I would then transfer them into a bin directly from the AMF folder do you?

The second error happened, but I just hit "continue" and kept working.

I contacted Avid Customer Success last night, sent them the screen shots, and they just got back to me. Although they are not tech support they recommended: 

- Please delete the Avid Database files (msmFMID.pmr, msmMMOB.mdb)

- Please test it on a new project.

- You can transfer the content of the bin on File menu/ open Bin. 

These files seem to be in 2 locations.  1) on my "Media Drive - Avid MediaFiles - MXF - 1 - " 2) on my "System Drive - Avid Media Composer - SupportingFiles - Avid_MediaFiles -"   I'm a little nervous about deleting these files. I don't even know what they do. I suppose I will make copies of them and record their file location first before I do this. I am beginning to wonder if this is a bug that was created when I moved to my trial version of 5.5 to the full install of 6.0 - then again I can't really tell since I wasn't ingesting media with 5.5 but just running tutorials until the full installl discs arrived. - Paul

2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB | Mac OS X Sierra | Media Composer 8.8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 3 2011 12:06 AM In reply to

If the media is imported before the bin is saved, it's still in on your media drive(s).  Just open up the Media Tool, select the proper drive and project, and you can sort by creation date to find the newest clips.

Then you can drag those clips into the bin from the media tool.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Sat, Dec 3 2011 8:31 PM In reply to

Oh, and the Avid database file can be deleted safely.  The system will rebuild them the next time the program is launched.

You'll see a "Scanning..." and "Indexing..." message referring the media drive during launch.

-- Kevin

• Fri, Dec 9 2011 4:55 PM In reply to

• Paul Muzzin
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 17
    • Points 175

Thanks. that's good to know.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 1:59 AM In reply to

• Le Maitre
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 11 2009
    • England
    • Posts 57
    • Points 665

The kCGErrorSuccess error happens because your display is going to sleep during the transcode. You can workaround this by telling your display never to go to sleep. Just go to System Preferences in the Apple menu, select Energy Saver and drag the Display sleep arrow to Never. That should stop this error.

Previous versions of MC didn't do this.

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU, 8GB RAM, Quadro 4000, Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, DeckLink Studio 2, DIGI002 desk, Plextor Bluray writer, Win-7 Ultimate 64... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller