Latest post Sun, Jan 15 2012 1:26 PM by TrevorA. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:32 PM

Transfer Modes in MC6

One of my edit bays is currently on mc5.5 and is utilizing the DMN transfer plugin just fine. I updated my other system to mc6 and that plugin is no longer in the effect pallette.. Is there a work around? I really would like to have mc6 with the capabilities of transfer methods. Am I able to do this natively in mc6? I haven't seen anything. I don't want to buy anything from boris!

Any suggestions?

Joel

MC 5 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, intel core i7 CPU, 6gb DDR3, Nvidia GTX 260, 1000w PSU. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:43 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,057
    • Points 92,955

Re: Transfer Modes in MC6

The DNM transfer plug-in is a very old 32-bit plug-in that ceased development years ago.  As far as I know there has never been a 64-bit version, and there's unlikely to be one either.

So unless you can track down a 64-bit equivalent you'll have to learn to work without it.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:59 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 794
    • Points 9,110

paint effect will do some transfer modes

sapphire math ops are good too (but $$)

or you can put 2 clips on v1 and v2 then add 'avidfx' effect to v2 and go in there and use the 'composite' tab to change the transfer mode of V2 over V1 (defaults to normal but the usual suspects are in there.). 

I think you can create a 'dummy' transfer effect by putting the avid fx clip on empty v3 filler and editing it to composite V2 over V1 with (eg) additive mode. then reuse as you wish. Try this bin with some effects in it and see how you get along...

Freelance - so all kinds of everything. Currently v7.0.3 on an HPz800 with NitrisDX on Interplay/ISIS [view my complete system specs]

Avid, Adobe, FCP7, FCPx, EVS, Tape, whatever.

EVS IPEdit and IPDirector bespoke training.

London editor.

• Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:51 PM In reply to

Thanks Trevor,

I forgot about the transfer methods in the paint effect. Although when I apply the paint effect to a clip and change the mode to add, I see no changes to the clip. Is there something else I need to do?

MC 5 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, intel core i7 CPU, 6gb DDR3, Nvidia GTX 260, 1000w PSU. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 14 2011 7:05 PM In reply to

Hi,

Joel Vanzeventer:
    Although when I apply the paint effect to a clip and change the mode to add, I see no changes to the clip. Is there something else I need to do?

Draw a shape covering the area you'd like to apply the effect to, then change the mode.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:21 PM In reply to

Maybe I'm not using the paint effect correnctly, but I'm looking to do what the DMN transfer plugin did. Drawing a colored shape and changing the transfer method is not doing the same thing for me. Is there something that I need to do differently?

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:08 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 794
    • Points 9,110

You're right... the transfer modes in paint effect aren't much use.

BCC Composite or AvidFX would be your best option if you don't have Sapphire...

Freelance - so all kinds of everything. Currently v7.0.3 on an HPz800 with NitrisDX on Interplay/ISIS [view my complete system specs]

Avid, Adobe, FCP7, FCPx, EVS, Tape, whatever.

EVS IPEdit and IPDirector bespoke training.

London editor.

• Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:49 AM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Points 2,630

The transfer modes in paint are useful for darkening/bluring parts of a frame, (good for spotlight and "witness protection" although the other modes are limited to interatcon with your coloured shape, on the one video track.

You can get some interation between tracks using an animatte shape and the magic mask on the upper layer.

PS. the shape can be the whole screen.

Steve

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems MC3 to 6.5 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: 17" MacbookPro (early 2011... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:48 PM In reply to

Are there any tutorials specifically on this? I'm a new Avid switcher from FCP trying to get my head around how effects work in Avid.

2008 Mac Pro 2.8GHZ 8 Core. 8GB Ram. OWC SSD System drive. NVIDIA GTX285 and GT120. BlackMagic Intensity Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:57 PM In reply to

There's a good series of tutorial here that cover the basics:

http://www.avid.com/US/resources/media-composer-5-getting-started-training

They're done using MC5, but they'll work for MC6, too.

If you meant you needed a tutorial for the paint effect specifically, it'd help to know what you'd like to do, as there are lots of options available.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:05 PM In reply to

Thanks for responding so quickly! I've watched those and most of the Class on Demand series too. What I'm looking to do is use these light flares/leaks http://www.crumplepop.com/?page_id=839 In FCP all you would do is change the composite mode to "add" or "overlay" and you would get that glow effect. The superimpose effect seems like it just drops the opacity.

2008 Mac Pro 2.8GHZ 8 Core. 8GB Ram. OWC SSD System drive. NVIDIA GTX285 and GT120. BlackMagic Intensity Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 4:52 PM In reply to

The paint tool won't do what you want. The reason I am still cutting on v5.5 is because I am able to utilize the DMN Transfer plugin which does exactly what you are wanting to do. (Add, overlay) But this plugin hasn't been updated in years and will not work with MC6 's 64 bit architecture. If you are on MC6 the most cost effective choice would be to get BCC composite which will have the plugin you want for this type of compositing. If you have a friend that is a student, they can get a really good deal on BCC products: for 300 bucks you can get exactly what your looking for: http://www.studica.com/us/en/Boris/boris-continuum-complete-7-fxplug.html 

I don't know why Avid hasn't included this natively. They may have something going with Boris.

I know that it's frustrating having to purchase more software but this is what I am going to do when I upgrade to MC6.  

Joel

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:13 PM In reply to

Joel Vanzeventer:
    If you have a friend that is a student, they can get a really good deal on BCC products

1. You linked to BCC 7, which isn't compatible with MC6.  For MC6 you'd need BCC8.

2. In Boris' online store, there is the following information:

To purchase Boris products at Academic Pricing, you must be a:

* Accredited college or university
    * College/university student or faculty member
    * K-12 student with a letter of college acceptance

After placing your order, please fax proof of your academic eligibility as well as a copy of your photo ID to 1-617-249-1608.

Note: Academic licenses are to be used exclusively for teaching or learning the product. They cannot be used for commercial, revenue-generating projects of any type.

So getting a student friend to purchase BCC for you to use commercially would be fraud.

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:23 PM In reply to

correction, "if you are a student" :)

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:27 PM In reply to

Joel Vanzeventer:

correction, "if you are a student" :)

Cool.  :)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller