Latest post Wed, Oct 9 2013 2:26 PM by Kevin Klimek. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 7:39 PM

Audio Scrub freezes MC 6 every time

First, I'm brand new to Avid; I've been on FCP for 10+ years. My issue is very possibly due simply to user error.

I'm trying to do sync sound & I'm having a problem with Media Composer scrubing through the timeline with the caps lock on.  I am double clicking on the audio (or video file) and toggling the Source/Record button to see the track in the timeline window so I can access the track's source media.  I have the wave forms showing so I can quickly see where the spike in the wavform is to identify where the slate clap is.  When I go want to scrub to this quickly with any function - dragging the play head with the mouse, JKL, frame by frame with arrow keys etc. - MC 6 freezes up until it crashes or I force quit.  

I'm simply needing to hear the sound as I scroll so I can know where the slate (or in other edits beats of a song etc) clap is. 

Can someone tell me what settings I have wrong or something else that I'm doing that is causing this?

Thanks!

Lee

Mac 2x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, BlackMagic DeckLink Studio 2. Using Media Composer 6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 7:53 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

Re: Audio Scrub freezes MC 6 every time

I was having a similar issue. I fixed it by disabling the "use fast scrubbing" option in the Timeline settings tab. It seems that some combination of graphics card/computer doesn't like this setting. Hopefully if you turn it off, you'll regain your functionality. 

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 7:56 PM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,905

You seem to be doing everything right so I would rule out user error. Is it only freezing when audio scrubbing? And does it freeze everytime you do this?

• Mon, Nov 28 2011 8:03 PM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,905

I just did a quick search and this issue came up in another forum post. There is apparently a patch for it: http://www.avid.com/US/support/downloads/patches/disclaimer

Here is the thread I was talking about.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/90226.aspx?PageIndex=3 

• Mon, Nov 28 2011 8:23 PM In reply to

Hey E-GoRe, thanks so much for the links!  I saw that thread too, but it only shows patches for MC 5 so I didn't think that would help here, but I'm not sure.

I'm getting some long thread error now that is displayed after a long freeze. It states:

"BlipPlayer::NonThreadedPlayBlipField: Timed out waiting for single frame player to stop.  If scrubbing a complex sequence of unrendered effects, consider rendering them for better perfomance."

I have no unrendered effects. The only thing open in this entire project is the source window with one audio file in it.  It's still freezing. It does this even when I touch the timeline in the grey area (ie. I'm not even scrubbing anymore)

Conleec: I tried unchecking the "Use Fast Scrub" from the Timeline options and I'm still encountering the same issue.

One thing I left off in my specs is my 3rd party video card.  It's a DeckLink Studio 2 from Black Magic.  Maybe that's giving me fits...?

Mac 2x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, BlackMagic DeckLink Studio 2. Using Media Composer 6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:42 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

You might want to try uninstalling the Decklink drivers - I vaguely remember a recent post about that being an issue with audio . . .

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 3:22 PM In reply to

• 2por2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 18 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hello, I have the same issue, somebody knows how and where can I get the patch for MC 6...Please help me.

Thanks.

MacPro.8 Core Intel Xeon 2,4 GHZ 14 GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 29 2011 5:36 PM In reply to

There are no patches for Mac, only full installers.  And there hasn't been a release after v6.0 yet. 

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 29 2011 9:39 PM In reply to

I've gone through multiple small changes to see what the issue might be.  I haven't figured out the exact problem, but I have deteremined the only thing that isn't working are sound files that are just audio.  When I put in a video file with sound, it plays perfectly frame by frame when scrubbing.  But the audio files alone (like what I'll get when cutting a movie or commercial) won't scrub when caps lock is on.  I've even tried converting the sound files upon import to AIFF or WAV and skipping the Linked AMA altogether, but that has no effect on the issue.

Lee

• Tue, Nov 29 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

I'm not seeing this with Nitris DX hardware attached. 

Is everyone with this issue using a 3rd party I/O card?  Is anyone software only?

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Nov 29 2011 11:01 PM In reply to

I have determined what the base of the issue is.  It's my BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 card.  For all other functions with MC6 it seems be working properly (video output, scrubbing with video/sound files frame by frame).  It's just the one issue of scrubbing with an Audio only file.  I removed the Decklink card from my computer completely and then fired up MC6 again and had no problem scrubbing with the exact same sound file in the same project as i did when it was plugged in.  I guess I'l try and send someone at Avid this issue and also the same to Black Magic and see if they can get a patch or update done to resolve this issue. 

Bummer that it's that, but at least I figured out the baseline problem.

Lee

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 8:05 AM In reply to

• 2por2
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 18 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Hi Rothenflue and Kevin, I'm using MATROX MXO2 LE, and have exactly the same issue, only with audio files.

MacPro.8 Core Intel Xeon 2,4 GHZ 14 GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:57 PM In reply to

So, you guys are saying with external hardware, you can't scrub over clips that are audio-only clips?  But if they are audio associated with a video clip, that works?

Out of curiosity, take one of you audio-only clips and group it with a video clip (like you were synching) but drop only the audio from the grouped clip in your timeline.  Does scrubbing work then?  Or if you do drop video & audio of the grouped clip, does that work?

And just verifying...these audio-only clips were imported?  And the video/audio clips were ingested how...captured, imported, or AMA?

-- Kevin

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 7:52 PM In reply to

Hey Kevin, thanks so much for helping me trouble shoot this.  

1.  I tried your example of syncing an audio file with a video file and putting that grouped clip into the timeline. That DOES work correctly.

2.  The audio & video files I've been working with are all imported.  At first, I did try some AMA files and switched to importing them in case that was the issue, but it didn't change anything.  I'm getting the files from an internal hard drive.

Now it looks like it's just the audio only file that is getting that BlipPlayer::NonThread error.  This error even happens when I simply double click on the file to open it the composer window when the caps lock is on.

Anything else I should try?  Does this sound file only error make any sense?

• Thu, Dec 1 2011 4:55 AM In reply to

Good to note.  Looks like there is something with clips that have no video associated with it.  But it is only happening with 3rd party hardware.

As an FYI, I think you just need to uninstall the Decklink software...you don't have to physically pull the card out of the machine.  That should deactivate the BM card in the Avid, and the problem would also go away.

Can others replicate this and please list your hardware as well?

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller