Latest post Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:51 PM by Job ter Burg. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 7 2011 7:38 AM

changing frame rate (fps) of master clips and sequence

Hello everyone!  I've been scouring the internet in an attempt to find a solution to my problem, but to no avail - I don't know the exact proper procedure to go about this.

I just recently came on a project to do some editorial assistance.  The previous editor on the project cut in Avid and the new editor on the project wants to cut in Final Cut Pro.  Unfortunately, Automatic Duck is giving me a great deal of trouble, because, as I found out, the Avid project contains LOT of frame rate problems.  For some reason the guy who imported the original camera video files and original sound files did it completely wrong, and he set up the project wrong.  Therefore when I try to bring the AAF into Automatic Duck, I'm getting a lot of syncing errors.

- The film was shot at 23.98 on the RED and 7D

- The Avid project is set up at a 1080p/24 timebase.  Therefore all the RED and 7D media that was imported (he transcoded the RED to quicktime files and then imported them into Avid) were changed from 23.98 quicktime files to 24 avid mxf files/master clips.

- The audio that was recorded on set for the RED shoot was imported into Avid at 24 fps as well (when prompted to choose a start TC in the Audio Start-Time Options box).  The audio files are wav 48.000 Khz 

- The audio that was recorded on sset for the 7D shoot was imported into Avid at 23.98 fps (when prompted to choose a start TC in the Audio Start-Time Options box).   The audio files are wav 48.000 Khz 

Using Automatic Duck I'm attempting to re-link to the original 23.98 quicktime transcoded files, as well as the original wav files.  However, because the Avid project was set up wrong, and the video and audio master clips have different durations and start timecode, the audio and video have sync problems when importing the AAF either as a 23.98 or 24 Final Cut Pro project file.  In Final Cut I've tried importing the AAF into a 24 fps project and a 23.98 fps project (with Automatic Duck changing the AAF 24 fps to 23.98 to match the 23.98 sequence preset).

Therefore, is it at all possible to modify not only the fps and format of the Avid sequence itself, but all the media linked in the sequence as well?  I've been able to successfully change the format of the sequence from 1080p/24 to 1080p/23.98 by creating a new project and opening the bin and opening the sequence - Avid then creates a new sequence at 23.98 from the original 24 sequence - all the clips have green dots on them, as the clips themselves are still 24 fps playing back at 23.98 within the 23.98 sequence.

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to re-link, re-import, re-Batch Import the associated master clips in the sequence to their original 23.98 quicktime transcoded files.  I've tried Batch Import but it just re-imports the clips at 24 fps (not 23.98 to match the sequence).  I've also tried Decomposing the sequence and using the Expert Decompose function, but the only option available under Format in the list of clips is 1080p/24 (no 23.98).

I'm hoping that it will be possible for me to re-import/re-link to the original 23.98 quicktime transcoded files as well as the original sound files (selecting 23.98 as the timecode upon import), so that when I sent the 23.98 sequence via AAF to FCP using Automatic Duck, everything will link properly.

However, I'm also wondering if by re-importing the clips at a new timebase/fps, the synced subclips will lose their association with each other, or if the sync will be off (if timecode will change due to re-importing the RED and 7D footage as 23.98 from the wrongly imported 24).

I also attempted to import the 24 fps sequence into FCP, and many of the 23.98 quicktime files had no problem re-linking, however because the RED shoot audio was imported incorrectly at 24 fps instead of 23.98, the Start TC is off (the 7D shoot audio synced fine because it was imported correctly at 23.98).

I'm really hoping anyone will be able to assist with this problem - I would really, really appreciate it.

THANK YOU!!!!

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 7:59 AM In reply to

Re: changing frame rate (fps) of master clips and sequence

You can't change frame rates for already imported clips, sorry. If they want to finish this properly, rebuild the project. There's just no way that any of this will make it through any form of postproduction properly.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:08 PM In reply to

Alright then.

If I'm not able to Batch Import a 23.98 quicktime file in a 23.98 avid project, because the original imported media was set to 24 fps, is it at LEAST possible to re-link a master clip to another imported master clip with the SAME EXACT name and SAME EXACT start time and the SAME EXACT tape name and the SAME EXACT duration?  Or re-link the 24 master clip to the 23.98 mxf media?

I imported a clip at 23.98 but I can't for the life of me figure out how to re-link it to the original 24 master clip that is currently in the sequence.  I want to re-import all the clips at 23.98, then re-link the original 24 master clips to the imported 23.98 clips.  Then the clips in the sequence will be associated with the new 23.98 media and won't have green dots on them - and be the same framerate as the sequence.

I've attached a photo to show my bin.  Bottom is original 24 master clips, top is new imported 23.98 clip.

Thanks!

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:09 PM In reply to

I don't think they will.  I think you'll have to manually recut these clips back into your sequence.

Media Composer v7.0.4 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.5 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

Dillon, how long is your project? How many shooting days of footage?

I imagine you could create an EDL from the original sequence, use that EDL to generate a new 23.976 sequence, then try to relink that new sequence.

That said, if this is a show of under 45 minutes, I personally would suggest you spend two days manually rebuilding it, as you would then know for sure that things would be proper. The EDL method will not give you synced clips, for instance.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:46 PM In reply to

The project is about 17 minutes, so manually rebuilding shouldn't take more than a day at most - 8 days of shooting footage.  I've attempted the EDL method, I was just wondering if there would be any way to automate the process.

However it seems that manually re-building the project would be the easiest way to get the project completed.  Unless someone proposes another potential solution.

I suppose that what I'm attempting to do may be beyond Avid's capabilities, which is unfortunate because in Final Cut I could very easily re-link to other transcoded quicktime files at a different framerate, as long as the media start timecode and durations were the same.  Hopefully Avid will have a feature to re-link master clips to different frame rate media in the future.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

• Mon, Nov 7 2011 8:51 PM In reply to

Experimenting with ways to automatically fix things will likely take longer with less chance that the result will work.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller