Latest post Wed, Nov 9 2011 3:45 PM by Larry Rubin. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:39 PM

Is my software registered

Hi all,

I havent posted for some time so I hope my "daft question" credit has been renewed as I'm about to use it.

I've just taken advangtage of the upgrade from MC v5.0.x to v5.5.x giving me (I'm led to believe) a free upgrade to MCv6 when released.  One of the stipulations is that I must register the software.  Should I assume that as the product appears on My Product page that I'm all registered (I have entered my system ID and my serial number at some point but have no email specifically saying I've registered the software).  So, daft question is - how do I know I'm registered?

Thanks for any help.

Shaun

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,264
    • Points 206,140
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Is my software registered

Shaun,

Ping me off forum with your system ID and I can check it to see if it is registered.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:45 PM In reply to

Hopefully i just answered my own question by finally finding the registration page and getting a duplicate registration error - meaning it must be registered - I assume.

Maybe my daft question credit is still intact...

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 3:46 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

For peace of mind I'll drop you the details off forum.

Thanks for your help.

Shaun

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:11 AM In reply to

Same thought here.  I downloaded it, activated it, I see it in my downloads, and submitting registration leads to a duplicate registration error, so I have to think that I registered successfully somewhere, but I hope I didn't miss something.  Having a "my registered products" page would make it unmistakable.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 4:35 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 5 2010
    • Rio Grande Valley, Texas
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

I've been out of the loop for awhile so please excuse the dumb question. I just purchased the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5. The installation went fine but when I fire up 5.5 it is asking me for my system I.D. as well as the serial number which was provided at purchase. I have no idea what my system I.D. is. How do I find this?

Antec P180 case & Signature 850W PS, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, Phenom II 3.2Ghz quad-core, 8GB DDR2-800, ATI FirePro V5800/1GB graphics, SB X-Fi Titanium... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 5:25 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

I found the piece of paper where I had (fortunately) wrote down my system ID for Version 4. This seemed to work just fine. So, whew, dodged that bullet. I still can't recall how I obtained that ID in the first place. Can someone shed some light? BTW - MC5.5 is now activated, registered and running. I am looking forward to the free upgrade to MC6.0 and am really thankful I just happened upon this window of opportunity at a time when I now need it. 

Antec P180 case & Signature 850W PS, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, Phenom II 3.2Ghz quad-core, 8GB DDR2-800, ATI FirePro V5800/1GB graphics, SB X-Fi Titanium... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 7:07 AM In reply to

Mark:

After you launch Media Composer, go to the console window in the tools menu. You can find the system ID and serial number there.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:07 PM In reply to

• GuyBooth
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Toronto Ontario Canada
    • Posts 565
    • Points 7,670

Mark:
    I found the piece of paper where I had (fortunately) wrote down my system ID for Version 4

Just a suggestion: For several years now I have kept a book (yes - one with paper in it!) where I write down every registration number, serial number, user name etc etc for every software purchase and upgrade I have made.

It is absolutely invaluable. If I wrote it down I always know exactly where to find it.

Intel i7-2600K OC'd at 4.50 GHz, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 MoBo, WD 10k rpm 300 GB Sata2 system drive, 2x2TB SATA3 RAID 0 Media & Render drive, 16GB... [view my complete system specs]

Guy

lasss productions

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:59 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

since I'm not a politician I'm in favor of leaving a paper trail Smile

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

Just in case anyone comes to this thread filled with worry that their 5.0 to 5.5 upgrade they bought between the 15th of October and 15th of November isn't properly registered, I'm here to set your mind(s) at ease.

I saw a post from Marianna on one of the many MC6 threads where she reassured all and sundry that if you purchase and register the MC5.5 upgrade during the protect period (Oct 15 to Nov 15), you will be eligible for the free MC6 upgrade, even if for whatever reason your purchase doesn't properly show up on the Avid site, or in the Avid store, or wherever a computer is looking for it.

I don't recall her exact words (and can't find the post in all the chatter), but the general idea was if you followed the rules and purchased & registered during the protect period, she'll help you out if you run into problems getting the MC6 upgrade.

So my suggestion is don't bombard her with a zillion emails asking if you're registered (especially if you've looked on the website and it says you're registered).  Email her if you actually run into trouble and she'll help you out.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

"After you launch Media Composer, go to the console window in the tools menu. You can find the system ID and serial number there."

thanks, Larry

that works great if MC is already installed and activated. In my case I had already deactivated and removed the application in order to install MC5.5. Too be fair though I guess I could've activated MC on my other computer and done this. Anyway since I did have the system ID written down it's working fine now.

Speaking of the other computer I do have another question. A couple of months ago I replaced the media drive with a large one and copied alll the files to the new drive. I had not used MC on that computer since I did that. Now when I start MC it gives me 3 warnings. The first says "Desktop Compositing must be disabled" and gives me an opportunity to do that. I don't know why it's complaining. In addition, as MC is firing up it warns me that the OMFI and MXF directories are inaccessable with the explanation "Drive Access Denied" or something to that effect. What's going on?  

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:42 PM In reply to

Mark:

First, access denied is a permissions issue. See this procedure.

Second, when moving media between drives, be sure to follow the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

After moving the files as stated above, you will need to rebuild the media database. Quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:48 PM In reply to

camoscato:

So my suggestion is don't bombard her (Marianna) with a zillion emails asking if you're registered (especially if you've looked on the website and it says you're registered).  Email her if you actually run into trouble and she'll help you out.

I completely agree and want to reinforce that as well. Marianna has had a very grueling couple of weeks and we should give her some space and time to relax and decompress. Here is what she said:

Guy et all...

The registration occurs thorugh the application so if you buy an uprgade and install it and activate it then you will be in the system.  If by chance something wacky happens dont worry - I'll he,lp you but folks... it isnt even close to the 15th yet so lets be patient and not get all stressed over registrations.

If you buy the upgrade and install and activate it - then chances are you are registered and will be covered.  If there is an issue - I'll help you after the 15th.

marianna

Everybody's cooperation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Nov 6 2011 5:43 AM In reply to

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been stressing because i get a "Duplicate Registration" error when try to register my 5.5 upgrade (from 5.0). I'm still using a dongle and wonder if that has anything to do with it?... I see that dongle activations works differently from Activation code registrations.

Mac Pro 6,1 3.5 16GB Ram OSX 10.10.5 Mac Pro 4,1 QC2.66 16GB Ram OSX 10.10.5 Matrox MXO2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller