Latest post Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:05 PM by kd-53. 55 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:56 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Re: MC 6 and BCC updates - Not impressed with pricing model

Dom Q. Silverio:

I'm not sure if "Disagree." was aimed at me, but I think it was.

I and others based our previous purchase decisions on the fact that Boris CC was essentially part of Media Composer.  We're going to base our future purchase decision on whatever it will cost to have MC v6 not feel like a step backwards in terms of capability.

And for the record, MARKET PRICE for the Avid version of BCC is currently [$295 minus whatever you feel Avid DVD, Avid FX, Smartsound Sonicfire Pro, and Sorenson Squeeze are worth].  This was one of the perks of being in the Avid family.  BCC was essentially free.  Now, that perk is gone.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:58 AM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Dom Q. Silverio:

DFW Hokie:
    But, I'm operating under the assumption that the decision to jettison BCC was not made based on delivery schedules.

Probably based on economics. I don't think heavily discounting a $2000 3rd party software was  a profitable product for them.

I agree.  I just suspect that Boris had more of a hand in it.  Their product offering for Avid had been devalued for long enough.

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:10 AM In reply to

DFW Hokie:
    MC 6 marks the first time the price has gone UP
    I don't think that holds up. Point-releases (like 5.5) have always been cheaper than full revisions (like 4.0, 5.0, 6.0). I think in that light that MC6 is even cheaper than MC5 was.

Not sure why you hold Avid responsible for Boris pricing.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:57 AM In reply to

• Whitecat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 5 2011
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 48
    • Points 635

To be fair - they did... the entire subset of audio plug-ins is 32-bit, running in a 'bridged server' of sorts. And it will be until they can adopt the AAX format.

Symphony 6.5.2.1 + PhraseFind / Mac Mini i7 Quad (2.0) / 16GB RAM / 10.8.2 Media Composer 6.0.3.3 / Macbook Pro Retina 2.3 / 8GB RAM / 10.8.2 Pro Tools... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:08 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Job ter Burg:
    DFW Hokie:
    MC 6 marks the first time the price has gone UP
    I don't think that holds up. Point-releases (like 5.5) have always been cheaper than full revisions (like 4.0, 5.0, 6.0). I think in that light that MC6 is even cheaper than MC5 was.

Not sure why you hold Avid responsible for Boris pricing.

addressed both earlier in the thread:

I don't consider v5.5 to be a valid sample for pricing...it was an apology offering from Avid.  So, no, I am not using any "point" releases as a point of argument.  Only the x.0 releases.

In all of my experience with Media Composer, Avid has marketed the product like Boris Continuum Complete was part of the package.  It justified the high cost to purchase.  Avid knew it.  The editors I consulted before purchasing into the Avid family knew it.  Everyone I talked to about it, in fact, said that Media Composer was way too expensive for just editing software (given the other options available at the time), but the bundle of effects, etc. made up for it.  This didn't happen by accident.  Avid did this on purpose.  Now, they have yanked a big piece of the product out.

Again, folks like me are talking about the total cost of ownership for our editing suite.  Avid Media Composer is just one component of the package.   If Avid/Boris will let me have BCC 8 for $299, I'll be good with that.  Until that happens, we want Avid/Boris to understand that we fully realize what just happened to the pricing model.  (What will be removed next?)

(Yes, Avid just made hardware much cheaper.  That is not lost on me.  But, I don't need hardware--just software.) 

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:26 PM In reply to

DFW Hokie:
    the total cost of ownership for our editing suite.
    Which at this point should earn itself back in a day or so.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:35 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Job ter Burg:
    DFW Hokie:
    the total cost of ownership for our editing suite.
    Which at this point should earn itself back in a day or so.

Can that statement be made across all market segments? 

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:42 PM In reply to

I don't know. I just feel all of this is extremely cheap. If I hire a decent assistant for a day, that costs me more than this software upgrade (which I can use for many more days). I also have cables that cost more. My printer was more expensive (and I use that 5 minutes per month).
  • Sat, Nov 5 2011 2:43 PM In reply to

DFW Hokie:

If you're in a market that charges less than $299/day for an operator, a suite, an NLE, and the ancillary equipment required for post production, it may be that Media Composer isn't the right product for you, value-wise.

*Not you, specifically.  Where it says "you," read "someone."

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Nov 5 2011 3:50 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

camoscato:

DFW Hokie:

If you're in a market that charges less than $299/day for an operator, a suite, an NLE, and the ancillary equipment required for post production, it may be that Media Composer isn't the right product for you, value-wise.

*Not you, specifically.  Where it says "you," read "someone."

Absolutely no offense taken...but thanks for clarifying all the same.

I have not made any statements along the lines of whether or not Avid Media Composer is the "right" or "wrong" product for anyone.  Nor will I.  This thread is clearly about the PRICING MODEL, which is new and more expensive.  (Fact: The product now costs $4 more and comes with less.  That "less" retails for $1,999.)  Folks will make their purchase decisions accordingly. 

Personally, I would pay $299 + $299 for MC 6 and BCC 8.  I expected to pay $500 anyway.  However, no one has said yet what the deal for BCC 6 owners will be.   Assuming I am offered a BCC that works with MC 6 for $299, the $598 won't bother me.  The timing isn't great, but when is it ever? 

No, what I am alarmed about is the shift in the PRICING MODEL.  I'm even more alarmed that BCC 6 owners still don't know what deal we're going to get.  What must be going on behind the scenes for them to not already have that ironed out?  Seriously, how do you not have that duck in the row?  (Hint: Of the two Boris products, they removed the one with "Boris" in the name.)

• Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:05 PM In reply to

• kd-53
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 28 2010
    • Duesseldorf, Germany
    • Posts 23
    • Points 300

DFW Hokie:
    Personally, I would pay $299 + $299 for MC 6 and BCC 8.  I expected to pay $500 anyway.  However, no one has said yet what the deal for BCC 6 owners will be.   Assuming I am offered a BCC that works with MC 6 for $299, the $598 won't bother me.  The timing isn't great, but when is it ever? 

No, what I am alarmed about is the shift in the PRICING MODEL.  I'm even more alarmed that BCC 6 owners still don't know what deal we're going to get.  What must be going on behind the scenes for them to not already have that ironed out?  Seriously, how do you not have that duck in the row?  (Hint: Of the two Boris products, they removed the one with "Boris" in the name.)

Please keep in mind that there are also non professionals with us. For me it is a hobby and I do not earn a single Euro/Dollar with video editing. Ok, I do spend money for my hobby. I came from Liquid last year and for me it was a good decission to switch to MC 5.0 /MC 5.5. Now I will switch to MC 6 and probably to BCC 8, but for me it is a lot of money (500 - 600 Dollar).

Best regards

Klaus-Dieter

Mobo: Asus Z270-A, i7-7700K, 32GB Ram, Win 10 Prof 64, GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB Ram, BM Intensity Pro 4K, MC 2018.8, BCC11, 2 x 24" monitors, Sony... [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller