Latest post Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:36 PM by S.Clements. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 2 2011 11:00 PM

• slowtrain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 26 2008
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295

RESOLVE ROUNDTRIP via AMA (Workflow)

Hi All,

Maybe obvious to most here but I was surprised (and excited!) to learn today that it is possible to roundtrip from Avid to Resolve via AMA, without the need for the $495 DNxHD license from Davinci. For those wondering, here are the steps:

1. Link to AMA files/volumes (in MC 5.5.3 for me)

2. Transcode (or not)..and edit.

3. Relink to AMA files (only if you cut with transcoded media)

4. Export AAF of sequence with 'link to media' selected from AAF options

5. Import/conform AAF/grade in Resolve

6. Render files from Davinci (I chose to render out Pro Res LT files for my test..)

7. Export AAF from Resolve session.

8. Import AAF in to MC - Sequence and clips from Resolve will appear (both sequence and clips will be offline).

9. Highlight clips and right click to 'link to ama Files' and navigate to your renders from resolve. New AMA clips will appear.

10. Now, highlight the original clips (not the new AMA clips) AND the sequence and then RELINK. In Relink dialogue, make sure All Available drives, Allow relinking of imported/AMA clips by source file name, any video format is selected. Make sure Relink only from current project is NOT selected.

And that's it! New relinked sequence is created that is now linked to your renders from Resolve. 

NOTE: this workflow requires that your files have a TC track..for my test I used Alexa files. 

Hope this is a help to someone.

Winslow

• Thu, Nov 3 2011 3:42 PM In reply to

Re: RESOLVE ROUNDTRIP via AMA (Workflow)

Interesting that you got this to work.  But I assume this is with QT outputs, not Avid MXF media, correct?

We still haven't been able to automatically relink to the Resolve MXF files yet, so we've had to re-construct sequences by hand.

Media Composer v7.0.2 (w/Symph Option) • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • OS 10.8.4 • 20 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Nov 3 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

• slowtrain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 26 2008
    • Posts 23
    • Points 295

That is correct, QT output from Resolve, NOT MXF.

• Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

• sheriff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 27 2011
    • Posts 51
    • Points 765

Hi,

Dont you guys experience any gamma shifts when viewing the material in Avid after export (with prores or database mxf-import)? I do view in normal range in Davinci and set the source settings of the Avid imported files to normal.

Stig

• Fri, Mar 22 2013 9:39 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 416
    • Points 5,680

I don't think this workflow is possible anymore.  At least in Avid MC 6.5, you can't export an AAF with the 'link to media' option.  It says this is not possible with AMA clips, which seems really silly to me.  I wonder if I'm missing something.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.2 Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 22 2013 2:36 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 416
    • Points 5,680

Ah, figured it out, you have to click on AAF Edit Protocol and then you can make an AAF linked tio AMA files.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.2 Macbook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller