Latest post Sun, Nov 19 2017 4:40 PM by luca.mg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 21 2011 5:24 PM

Way To Perform a Search Replace on Clip Names in a Bin?

I just transcoded some AMA files to DV 25. I've moved the transcoded clips to a new bin (it would be nice to be able to specify a destination bin for transcodes, BTW).

In my new bin, I now have all the clips with .new.01 appended to them (BTW, it would also be nice to be able to specify the tag that MC automatically places at the end of transcode clips). So now I want to delete the ".new.01" and maybe replace it something more meaningful, e.g. "_transcode".

Is it possible to perform a search and replace command on clip names, or do I have to manually change each clip's name?

Thanks much!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Fri, Oct 21 2011 9:32 PM In reply to

Re: Way To Perform a Search Replace on Clip Names in a Bin?

Not at my Avid at the moment, but check the "custom sift" mode in the bin menu.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Oct 23 2011 3:06 PM In reply to

Thanks Larry but unfortunately, there is no replace feature in Custom Sift.

I'm pretty surprised that MC does not have a Find Replace feature (similar to what's found in programs like Excel and Word).

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:22 PM In reply to

There is no Find / Replace functionality.  It's a lot of copying and pasting, unfortunately.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:46 PM In reply to

Try using a program like Quickkeys. I use it to automate this sort of thing.

You can custom sift to find the clips you want and then program some keystrokes to delete and type a new extension. Return on the keyboard handily takes you to the next clip in the list.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 24 2011 4:47 PM In reply to

Kevin, thanks Smile for confirming this Sad. One of MC's strong points is that clips names are not used for media management, so changing clip names is not a problem. Which means that having a Find / Replace feature for names in bins would exploit this advantage further. If clip names were used for media file linking, then I could be better understand not being able to change clip names en masse.

I smell a feature request...

P.S. James, thanks for the Quickkeys tip. I've been meaning to look into the program, as it seems to be answer for to quite a few needs.

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 1:34 PM In reply to

• mattess
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 10 2014
    • Posts 13
    • Points 105

Hi,

any news about the find+replace, to replace such as ".sync01" after a autosync?

Thanks in advance!

Matthias

• Sun, Nov 19 2017 4:40 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

You may want to experiment with ALE files. Make a new test bin, duplicate a couple of sync clips inside of it, create a custom column, eg 'TEMP', (prior  to ALE export You may need to display sources in the bin, and relevant information like tracks, tape, file name and path, and the like for the magic to happen) export as ALE, open the resulting file with a text editor with column selection capability or a spreadsheet, copy the clip name column to 'TEMP', find&replace whatever You like in the 'TEMP' column only, save and import back to the test bin; see if the sync clips and the ALE clips merge, if yes duplicate the 'TEMP' column content to the clip name column. The ALE trick used to work to modify plain clips, don't know if this is true for groups, subclips, and sync clips, but it may be worth to give it a try.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller