Latest post Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:04 PM by mivko. 50 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 25 2014 9:34 AM In reply to

Re: OSX Lion & Media Drive Issue could result in Segmenation fault error

Thanks for this, very helpful. Was wondering why I was getting the 'Segmentation Fault at 0' etc whenever tried to open a project file, swiftly followed by a crash. Was ok though to open the Avid app on its own though, then select the project - no crash.

"Ah.  right.  Here's something fun for anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to Lion (like me)"

Word of advice: DON'T :D

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Refugee from the FCP bloodbath!

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

4) NAVIGATE FROM ONE TAB TO ANOTHER IN PROJECT MENU

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

6) ZOOM IN TO EFFECTS EDITOR KEYFRAME TRACKS

7) LABEL CLIPS

8) MOVE CLIPS AROUND VERTICALLY ON TIMELINE

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 2:42 AM In reply to

Okay scratch that. Changed permissions to read & write in 'Macintosh HD' and in Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer, Avid, AvidBinIndexer and AVX Plug-Ins Data and all sub-folders. Still getting: 

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Refugee from the FCP bloodbath!

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

4) NAVIGATE FROM ONE TAB TO ANOTHER IN PROJECT MENU

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

6) ZOOM IN TO EFFECTS EDITOR KEYFRAME TRACKS

7) LABEL CLIPS

8) MOVE CLIPS AROUND VERTICALLY ON TIMELINE

• Wed, May 21 2014 9:52 AM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 4 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 85

Jakob Peterhänsel:

Larry Rubin:

that is Avid's official recommendation for dealing with a segmentation fault error that started with the Lion OS series.

Well, that just makes it even worse!

Never ever make users compromice system security as a 'quick fix'!

The right solution is to create the folder Avid MC would like to see there, and make access to that folder.

This is a very old thread, but I was also shocked to see this recommendation of making the whole system drive read/write.

To create an Avid MediaFiles folder on the system drive, one can use the following 3 commands in Terminal, which will not modify the rest of Mac OS permissions:

sudo mkdir -p "/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1"

sudo chown -R "$USER:staff" "/Avid MediaFiles"

sudo chmod -R a+rwX "/Avid MediaFiles

The first command will ask for the user password, and then create the folders, The second changes the ownership, and the last one gives everyone read/write access to this folder and it's sub-folders (and not to the rest of the system!)

• Wed, Jan 28 2015 12:40 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 23 2014
    • Cologne
    • Posts 26
    • Points 365

Re: OS X Media Drive Permissions Issues

after i have copied the project to an external drive, i am getting following message, when I want to save the project:

Project settings is not saved due to an error.
    Exception: Recource temporally unaivailable, filname: Gaensacker_Ausgrabung.avp

This happenes only with Mac. With Windows I do not get that error-message. So there seems to be a write-problem occured by missing write-permissions to this external Drive. Is there any command für that. "Alldrives" I have tryd yet. in the information window shows me, that everyone has read & write permission & there is the problem, a error-message appears that I  can not add an user, in cause of missing permissions. It is a NAS-Drive, connected via Thunderbolt to LAN-Adapter
    Network-settings of the MBPro are IP4: DHCP and IP6: automatic.

this must be a mac-os-only-problem, because with windows it works.

The NAS-Drive is managed by Linux. Of course I have given me total Adminitrative-rights. But there seems to be a (protocol-) conflict or something similar. I am not expert enough for IT-Administration-things.

Any Ideas?

Z840, Win7Pro, 32GB RAM DDR4, NVIDIA Quadra K4200, Dual Intel Xenon E5 - 2650v3 2.3 2133 10Core / Macbook Pro Retina, MAC OS 10.10.5, 2,8 GHz Intel Core... [view my complete system specs]

Thomas Poerschke, Editor & Colorist

ColorGrading.TV @ MMC Studios Köln, Am Coloneum 1, 50829 Cologne, Germany
    web: www.colorgrading.tv

• Wed, Jan 28 2015 2:40 PM In reply to

• chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,215

you'll need software for your mac to read/write windows/linux_formatted_drives.

my two cents

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Wed, Jan 28 2015 3:04 PM In reply to

• mivko
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 4 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 85

You seem to not be using an "external drive", but a network share on a different machine (your NAS server) instead.

I don't think that you can do that with your projects folder. Network shares are very different from local drives (whether internal or external).

Use your NAS for backups, storage, etc. but put your projects, settings and Avid MediaFiles on a local drive.

Anyway, this should really be in a separate thread since it doesn't seem related to "OS X Media Drive Permissions".

Page 4 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller