Latest post Sat, Jun 9 2012 10:42 PM by Tom Pearson. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:33 PM In reply to

• tawlif
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • VA
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,570

Re: Panasonic AF100 AMA workflow

Thx Todd, mjolnarn i'll try that tonight

MacPro Dual 2.8GHz Xeon (Quad-core) Harpertown 14Gb MacOS 10.7.5 Media Composer/Symphony 7.0 [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:54 PM In reply to

• jdcoletv
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2011
    • Posts 83
    • Points 995

I second using Clipwrap. Works great and is pretty speedy. I find AMA while speedy upfront, you pay with transcoding and export time on the backend. No free lunch, as they say.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) running with 16gb and Sierra (10.12.6), Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB. [view my complete system specs]

Regards,
    Jeremy

• Tue, Jun 5 2012 8:59 PM In reply to

How do you pay later on exporting?  Transcoding you pay for obviously, but you get that time back at the end when everything is native DNX right?  Exports are lightning fast.... SAS.

I disagree.... For the AF-100..... AMA.... transcode..... edit.  Quickest and smoothest way to Rome IMHO.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:00 AM In reply to

• tawlif
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,570

Todd Sanderson:

How do you pay later on exporting?  Transcoding you pay for obviously, but you get that time back at the end when everything is native DNX right?  Exports are lightning fast.... SAS.

I disagree.... For the AF-100..... AMA.... transcode..... edit.  Quickest and smoothest way to Rome IMHO.

Hi again,

When i tried to "Link AMA Volume" my system needed to download the AMA plugins.

After installing the plugin, Symphony just loaded everything to bin.

the million $ question is:

Should I consolidate the footage or i can just edit using the media in that bin???

(frankly your last comment Todd confused me)

MacPro Dual 2.8GHz Xeon (Quad-core) Harpertown 14Gb MacOS 10.7.5 Media Composer/Symphony 7.0 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 5:49 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

tawlif:

When i tried to "Link AMA Volume" my system needed to download the AMA plugins.

After installing the plugin, Symphony just loaded everything to bin.

Great

tawlif:

the million $ question is:

Should I consolidate the footage

Not consolidate, as Todd says

Todd Sanderson:

. For the AF-100..... AMA.... transcode..... edit.  Quickest and smoothest way to Rome IMHO.

tawlif:

i can just edit using the media in that bin???

Yes, for lighter projects that is possible, a transcode might be needed at the end before exporting it out

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jun 6 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

I suggest you transcode to your desired resolution right away.... prior to any editing.  You'll be happy you did later when you want to export rough cuts, etc, etc.

I've gotten in the habit of AMA'ing my footage and setting up transcodes overnight, so there's very little down time.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 2:05 AM In reply to

• tawlif
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,570

Yes i got it now thank you...

Any recommanded resolution to be used?

Like is 1-1 too much?

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 5:38 AM In reply to

ok, just to expand, please help me understand when AMA-transcode is necessary...from this reference: AMA workflow questions

Todd Sanderson:
    I've gotten in the habit of AMA'ing my footage and setting up transcodes

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

Filed under: ,
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 5:40 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

tawlif:

Yes i got it now thank you...

Any recommanded resolution to be used?

Like is 1-1 too much?

I suppose that you are using Ntsc media and, if so , transcoding codec to be used would be DNxHD 145 or 220 / 220 x .

Resolution to be used is the same as your source media, I guess 1920 x 1080

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 2:43 PM In reply to

Hi Tikboy,

It's necessary for many reasions.  if you can't play back certain AMA formats smoothly.  5D files for instance are just unable to play back for me without stuttering.  So I transcode first.  Also, when you export your sequence you may get messages that say you need to consolidate prior to export.... depending on your desired export format.  In my situation, when I'm exporting, I'm typically out of time.... so this is not a good situation for me.  Thus, I transcode 'everything' to DNX145 prior to any editing.  However, you 'can' just edit with the AMA footage and then consolidate at the end.  This is good as it saves time and space up front.  Particularly on large projects, this can be a huge space saver and time saver up front.

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 3:57 AM In reply to

• tawlif
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,570

mjolnarn:

I suppose that you are using Ntsc media and, if so , transcoding codec to be used would be DNxHD 145 or 220 / 220 x .

Resolution to be used is the same as your source media, I guess 1920 x 1080

But i do not have: DNxHD 145 or 220 / 220 x .

following are the available ones:

AVC-Intra 100 MXF

DNxHD 36 MXF

DNxHD 115 MXF

DNxHD 175 MXF

DNxHD 175 X MXF

Apple ProRez MXF

Apple ProRez HQ MXF

Apple ProRez LT MXF

Apple ProRez Proxy MXF

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 5:35 AM In reply to

The available resolutons are dependant on the project type.  In the built-in HELP, see:

Resolution Specifications: HD
    Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 2:54 AM In reply to

• tawlif
    • Not Ranked
    • VA
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,570

Thx again Randall,

i was hoping to find an easier/direct explanation or direction like: "wich one is 1 to 1 or 2 to 1?"

or if there was any common recommended one, like for offlining use:

"Avid DNxHD 36, a screening-quality HD offline resolution for progressive formats"

• Sat, Jun 9 2012 9:45 PM In reply to

I'm editing this promo from a AF100 through AMA. It works, barely. Since it's only a short taster tape, I tried editing this on AMA. I felt it was really slow. even for my Matrox bugs standard, It's down to unusable.

So, today, just because I am finishing it, I tried this on Premiere CS5.5.

It's ridicusly faster. It's like I bought a 4 times faster Mac Pro. Realtime, really. No import. Unbelievable. 

I don't know what Avid is doing with it's 64 bit prowess, but maybe they need to hire some adobe engineers. And the funny thing is that my processors are a lot less used under Premiere. What's going on? I heard AMA relied a lot on RAM... is that the problem? I have only 14 gb which seems to be enough for Adobe.

Anyway, enough of whining, I just want the NLE I love to be on par with what's expected of our computers these days.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 9 2012 10:42 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,162
    • Points 23,190

Im just finishing my second film shot on that same camera  and Todd is dead right check your footage in ama then transcode dont mess with editing in ama... you will be so much happer especialy after you add a couple of cross fade's and fx's  and we wont even get into trying to color correct with ama  

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller