Latest post Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:53 PM by Dennis . 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:31 PM

• Matthew Penn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 12 2011
    • New York
    • Posts 5
    • Points 90

Idea [I] Automatic AMA Linking from AAF

Our Facility needs the Avid to give us the ability to interpret AAF packaged clips as AMA clips, and automatically attempt to bring them online without us having to "Link to AMA Volume" or "Link to AMA File" as a side process.

Our rationalization for this feature:

We use Squarebox's CatDV as our Asset Management System, and have developed workflows for the Final Cut Pro workstations that we have at our facility. An editor picks his clips that he wants to use, and drag them to a representation of his open project in CatDV. A second later, the clips appear ready to use, with all the metadata that was logged in CatDV intact.

CatDV translates to FCP through direct XML, they speak the same language, so the roundtrip is effortless.

Our Avid systems get the lions share of our high end work, and the demands for b-roll and beauty shots are high. CatDV doesn't yet have a direct method for sending clips to the Avid, so they designed a product called MME (mme.tv) to translate FCP XML to AAF. This allows sending FCP sequences and clips, and also CatDV selects, and translate them to AAF for the Avid to use.

This solution works half way. I see the offline clips in an Avid bin after sending the Avid an AAF, but it does not automatically link. I have to hunt down the media, mount it separately through AMA and then do a manual relink to the AAF clips afterwards, which creates too many steps, and isn't a solution for our workflow because the media in our library isn't designed to be hunted and pecked by editors manually outside of CatDV (Discouraging users from exploring filesystem) because it's library managed.

The AAF clips in the bin provide complete information about where the media is located, it's format, and all the great metadata our loggers have added in CatDV. The Avid doesn't really care, and there's no way for me to tell it to "Just pretend it's AMA and online it!"

Avid would put our Media Composers in top spot again for our facility if they could provide a solution to this problem. More focus is being put on the Avids in our shop especially with FCP's current future, but the Avid is currently second class citizen with our asset management system.

This would solve a huge problem for us, and help us avoid having to design costly sidecar processing trips to manipulate media to be readable in the Avid with few editor steps.

Thanks,

Matt Penn

Post Production Supervisor | Citi

• Tue, Sep 13 2011 10:22 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,018
    • Points 215,715
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Automatic AMA Linking from AAF

Matt

I passed this post along to the designers for our editing applications.  Should they have questions, they will ping you back...

Thanks for this....

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:06 PM In reply to

• Matthew Penn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 12 2011
    • New York
    • Posts 5
    • Points 90

Thanks for doing so. Have you heard anything since then, or is there a way to track this? My management is starting to talk about isolating our Avids since they aren't compatible with our asset management system without great amounts of custom development to do this ourselves...

Obviously I don't want to diminish our Avids, but I have no easy way to get the media in from our centralized library without a bunch of steps and custom design. So far everything works great with it except our Avids. Even Final Cut X works with the darned thing now.

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 3:12 PM In reply to

• hdcutter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dayton, OH
    • Posts 256
    • Points 3,075

Bump. Has this gone any further?

Adrenaline 3.5.4HP xw8600 4 gb RAM DNxcel Board [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 19 2012 3:35 PM In reply to

We're looking into this but don't have anything to report right now.  I don't see this being a short term item on our roadmap.

Dave

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:08 PM In reply to

Dave Avid PM:

We're looking into this but don't have anything to report right now.  I don't see this being a short term item on our roadmap.

Dave

A big downside of AMA currently is the convoluted steps to remount unlinked AMA media.

To have a clip that has all the info it needs to be connected to an external AMA source file and not be able to just tell it to re-connect is very frustrating. The current solution of re AMA mounting a fresh new clip of that external source is cumbersome and slow.

If it was possible to modify the re-link process or create a re-connect process that can be applied to a clip or selection of clips that would be fantastic.

And if we could convert a previously imported clip to an AMA clip and then re-connect even better.

The AMA re connecting limitations are one of the biggest restrictions to a wider use of AMA currently for lots of our clients.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:52 PM In reply to

Yes, thanks Pat.  This is a major item we are working to address in the short term.

• Thu, Jul 19 2012 5:30 PM In reply to

• hdcutter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dayton, OH
    • Posts 256
    • Points 3,075

Thanks, at first I thought you were saying that this was something that wouldn't be addressed any time soon.

Adrenaline 3.5.4HP xw8600 4 gb RAM DNxcel Board [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Two things: 1) anything that would help CAT DV and AVID integration would be greatly welcomed. 2) The relinking function in AVID, while it may work sometimes, it is very unpredictable and frankly just doesnt work most of the time.   I am left wondering why I cannot access a similar sceen as Batch-Import and point to one or more files and then allow AVID to find files based on file names and relink.   

MacPro AVID MC 6.5.2 / Mac OS 10.7.5 / 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 20GB RAM / Dual Monitor 1-30" 1-24" / One big ass hamster on a tread mill... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 17 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

• Dennis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 6 2009
    • Posts 76
    • Points 840
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

We use CATDV and the AVID workflow leaves much to be desired.   Premiere has a plug-in that logs into the CATDV server.  Simply search for content, select the clips to import into Premiere and hit "import"  Bingo, there there are in Premiere.   Simple and clean.  AVID is a much deeper program than Premiere but harder to integrate with CATDV.  It would be wonderful for AVID to step up to the plate on this one.  Organizations today need software that plays well in the sandbox together. 

MacBook Pro Retina 16 gig ram, Mac Pro 12 core, 16 gig Ram. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller