Now that you’ve had a chance to learn a little more about the Avid and Abbey Road song contest judges, including Greg Wells, Tricky Stewart and John Feldmann, we thought it would be fun to take a quick walk down memory lane and highlight some of the milestones that have marked the studio’s unrivalled success.
Here are nine things you need to know about the studio:
1. Originally opened as EMI Studios in 1931, the name was changed in 1970 after The Beatles recorded Abbey Road there in 1969.
2. During The Beatles’ Revolver recording sessions, automatic double tracking was invented, eliminating the need to record instruments twice in order to get a fuller sound. This was followed by even more technical advances in multi-track recording for the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in 1967.
3. At one point in 1967, both The Beatles and Pink Floyd were recording in separate EMI studios simultaneously.
4. The Beatles were part of the first-ever worldwide TV satellite link-up in 1967, when they performed the specially written All You Need is Love for 350 million people live from the studios.
5. The scores for “Lord of the Rings,” “Harry Potter” and five of the “Star Wars” movies were recorded at Abbey Road.
6. Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon was recorded at the studio in 1973 and holds the record for time spent on the Billboard Chart at 741 weeks (14 years).
7. In 1995, Radiohead recorded The Bends at the studio. This was said to be a groundbreaking album due to its influence on the next generation of British musical artists, like Keane and Coldplay.
8. Studio One is the largest purpose-built recording studio. It can accommodate a 110-piece orchestra and a 100-member choir simultaneously.
9. The Abbey Road Studios building was granted English Heritage Grade II status in 2010 for outstanding cultural significance.
If you’re interested in becoming another artist in the long line of legendary musicians who have had their work mixed and mastered at Abbey Road Studios, now is your chance. Be sure to submit your original song to the Talenthouse-powered contest. The deadline is only a few weeks away!