At the age of 13, John Feldmann heard Social Distortion’s Mommy’s Little Monster and decided to pursue a music career. Many commented on the low production value of the record, which was recorded at The Casbah in Fullerton, California in a single session, making it a somewhat remarkable record to play the muse of someone who would go on to become an engineer and producer.
Despite the commentary, the record was reissued several times, with different formats and labels, and Mommy’s Little Monster was credited by Paul Tinelli of Allmusic as "the epitome of early-'80s suburban California punk and provided inspiration for many future Californians, including The Offspring and Rancid.”
John moved to Los Angeles in 1988, joining the ranks of punk musicians inspired by Social D., and started The Electric Love Hogs. He worked hard to promote the band, posting flyers anywhere he could, networking at clubs and playing shows for nothing but beer and hot dogs. The leg work paid off. In 1990, the band was signed to Polygram and they released one record. But it was the wildfire success of his band Goldfinger that put John on the map. The song “Here in Your Bedroom,” off of their self-titled record was a top five rock hit in the U.S. during the summer of 1996 and reached #47 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart.
So why should you share in our excitement that John is one of the talented Avid and Abbey Road song contest judges? We’ll give you five reasons:
1. John has done production work and/or songwriting for The Veronicas, Good Charlotte, Ashlee Simpson, Hilary Duff, Atreyu, Anthony Green, All Time Low, Panic! at the Disco, Boys Like Girls, Plain White T’s, and Mandy Moore.
2. Goldfinger is widely considered to have been a contributor to the movement of third-wave ska, alongside No Doubt.
3. After playing 385 Goldfinger shows in 1996, Feldmann and his band broke the Guinness Book of World Records for the most shows ever in one year for a touring band.
4. When he was an A&R rep for Warner Bros & Maverick Records, John signed The Used, Goldfinger, Story of the Year, Foxy Shazam, and Mest.
5. In his current position as an A&R consultant for Red Bull Records he has signed Itch (formerly King Blues) and Blitz Kids.
Aspiring musicians and artists, there is just under a month left to sign up for the Talenthouse-powered song contest than can get your song heard by three of the top engineers and producers in the industry. What are you waiting for?